Thermal bridge ? Screeding tomorrow

Solid concrete staircase sitting directly onto the beam and block oversite, bypassing our insulation.

Is this a cause for concern ? Anything I should do to rectify ?

image.png.b8679f3c7123d323ae57d789c3520355.pngW

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

It is an issue, no ideal of a practical way to fix - your stair will be sucking heat away from the house for ever more.

Plus 1

Probably not your fault 

Your Architect needs Shooting 

• Like 1

@nod @JohnMo @joe90 - thanks, good to know.

The plan was to clad the step with engineered wood.

Do I need to worry about moisture coming up through the concrete and damaging the wood ?

We're beam and block, and DPC is in place underneath, so I'm hoping should be okay, but figured I would ask the question

1 hour ago, nod said:

Plus 1

Probably not your fault 

Your Architect needs Shooting 

To be fair, architect didn't detail this way, was the builder thinking he knew better...

11 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

To be fair, architect didn't detail this way, 

How did the architect detail it? And why didn’t the builder do what the architect designed.

11 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

was the builder thinking he knew better...

Well he is not an architect and does not know better.

Edited by joe90

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

How did the architect detail it? And why didn’t the builder do what the architect designed.

Well he is not an architect and does not know better.

Architect detailed screed first with all GF partitions and staircase on top of the screed

3 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

Architect detailed screed first with all GF partitions and staircase on top of the screed

Then I would ask the builder why he didn’t follow the drawings (which is what you are paying him to do!) and what is he going to do to rectify the thermal bridge. I would not put up with that fault caused by the builder.

• Like 1

That’s not good, it’s been bugging me ‘what would I do’?

I think I’d consider supporting the existing staircase. Chopping off the bottom to or three stairs. Completing the floor as designed and then re forming the bottom steps. 

How that would work in reality I don’t know but leaving ‘as is’ would be dire I reckon. 

• Like 2

Could you/I would wrap a few layers of Armaflex tape around the form of it to seperate screed from stairs? Few mm will help provide a degree of seperation, will help reduce the problem of it. Use thicker underlay for your flooring. Wood as you plan for, with a carpet runner maybe? (I don't like wood stairs, with the wrong socks on far too slippy)

Reality is you're gunna have to suck it up and move on, else face serious serious cost, headache and heartache trying to fix when EVERYONE will roll their eyes and think you're OCD. The £canceled screed alone cost will be worth more then 10 years of that thermal bridging, let alone piss off factor, delays and cost for whatever bodges you try and introduce to fix.

You can't win them all! Building houses is not a zero sum game. Just double down efforts elsewhere to try and offset it,  move on and forget about it.

Edit.. Damp won't come up as the block and beam has dpc and is ventilated to keep it dry anyway.

Edited by Andehh

That is a real shame. I’m sure many build’s have minor mistakes like this, I’m sure mine does. What gnaws at the back of your mind, is how big a deal is this, as laypeople we have no easy way to quantify. We took the insulated foundation approach which has some advantages if people drop the ball later on in the build. 

I spent most days obsessed with insulation and checking and monitoring.... But was away with work for the screed pour, and only this winter found we have a thermal bridge from big sliders against our screed floor. The first 6" of the screed is noticable colder... Like I said, you can't win everything!

Reality is though... How often do you stand with your toes against the glass, room is still lovely and warm, and overall house is very reasonable ££ to heat...wife thought I was crazy when I be moaned it. No one else will ever notice or care, but it's still taken me months to get over!!

Thanks all. Thank you for the feedback. As you say, cancelling the screed was never realistic. It's wooden floor anyway on the step.

Appreciate all the support and advice. It's amazing how much you learn doing a build... Will do it better next time 😅