What do you make of this?

Difficult to see even if all their heating is by the auxiliary electric heater (if any) not the heatpump itself how they could have used 4.3 MWh in six weeks.

Has the meter been miswired so it is registering the demand for the whole retirement home complex???

• Like 1

I think it's a "retirement home", not a retirement home.  It's a one and a half storey dwelling, detached I presume.  That bill seems high even for a heat pump running with a COP of 1.  At the very least, read the meter a few times a day to find out what is eating all that electricity.       

Their consumption is about 4kW 24/7. That's more than predicted for my leaky old barn conversion.

With a new build I would expect maybe 20 - 40 W/sq m heat loss so 4 - 8 kW for a 193 sq m property, say 6kW or better with MVHR.

So with a CoP of 3 in this weather the consumption should be more like 2 kW continuous even allowing a bit for HW for two people.

My money is on the auxiliary heating being stuck on for some reason.

There is not enough detail.  If they were on here, I would be asking:

Is that high bill actual or estimated?

What tariff are you on and what is the unit rate?

Take daily meter readings at the same time of day and post them for us to analyse.  Real meter readings not from an app or IHD.

Post the EPC details of the property so we can see what the claimed performance is, if new build you might even have the full SAP details.

Without any of that we can only speculate

• Like 1

Just cause they have all the kit, doesn’t. Mean it’s been installed properly , commissioned properly or the end user is using it properly, that’s before we look at the build quality.

• Like 1

3kW immersion running 24/7 for 40 days (it’s nearly 40 days from December 7th - 20th Jan) would give nearly that usage. 

Backup heater in their LLH or buffer is running 24/7.

On 23/01/2024 at 11:27, sharpener said:

Their consumption is about 4kW 24/7. That's more than predicted for my leaky old barn conversion.

My money is on the auxiliary heating being stuck on for some reason.

1 hour ago, HughF said:

3kW immersion running 24/7 for 40 days (it’s nearly 40 days from December 7th - 20th Jan) would give nearly that usage. 

Backup heater in their LLH or buffer is running 24/7.

Terrible echo on this board don't you think?