Semi permanent road surface

Robert Clark

Hello 

Live down an unadopted lane which I resurfaced approx 7 years ago with recycled road planings, laid with a ride on vibrating roller.

Its lasted far better than previous surfaces (type 1 mot), however it now has deep potholes and is in need of repair / replacement again.

Im wondering if gravel, laid onto interlinking plastic honeycomb tiles would be a more permanent solution?

Or is there a better option.

Sadly tarmac or concrete is not allowed 

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

gravel, laid onto interlinking plastic honeycomb tiles would be a more permanent solution

I'm a fan of it but....

One heavy lorry braking or turning hard can wreck it.

The edges chip off over time.

I'd repair with more planings.  It is an engineered blend of stone plus a little bit of sticky stuff, as long as it isn't fine, footpath material.

Clean and prime the potholes. Put the new material in in stages, bashing it with a rammer.

Edited by saveasteading
Spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

Live down an unadopted lane which I resurfaced approx 7 years ago with recycled road planings, laid with a ride on vibrating roller.

however it now has deep potholes and is in need of repair / replacement again.

Out of interest, what did the road planings go down on?

Are the pot holes the planning surface breaking up, or is it the sub structure moving?

The  interlinking plastic honeycomb tiles require a sub structure (150mm hardcore), same as planings, so I'd expect it to move just the same, unless your issue is the surface layer breaking up.

• Like 1

I think gravel grids are ok for paths and driveways and car parks if the right duty grid is chosen and laid carefully on a solid base and with good edges. I have some paths in the garden I’m pleased with and expect them to last ok. An actual road with an occasional lorry? Less likely I would think. Also gravel grids are expensive - my back garden path refurb was £5K and it’s not a big garden and most of that was materials.

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, IanR said:

Are the pot holes the planning surface breaking up, or is it the sub structure moving?

The  interlinking plastic honeycomb tiles require a sub structure (150mm hardcore), same as planings, so I'd expect it to move just the same, unless your issue is the surface layer breaking up.

It’s the surface breaking up. There’s also water damage as it’s a sloping lane and rain water has nowhere to go other than over the surface 

42 minutes ago, IanR said:

The road planings were laid on top of previously laid crushed rubble and type 1 MOT. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

The road planings were laid on top of previously laid crushed rubble and type 1 MOT. 

Then a 50mm high grid and gravel should remain stable, with good edge support, but will cost a lot more than planings.

I have planings on the farm track up to the property, done years ago and was never rollered. The surface does break up, similar to what you are saying. A similar track at a neighbours doesn't break up and his was rollered in hot weather. The local farmers tale is that you need to roller in +18°C. I'm planning to put another 50mm on mine and do just that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IanR said:

Then a 50mm high grid and gravel should remain stable, with good edge support, but will cost a lot more than planings.

I have planings on the farm track up to the property, done years ago and was never rollered. The surface does break up, similar to what you are saying. A similar track at a neighbours doesn't break up and his was rollered in hot weather. The local farmers tale is that you need to roller in +18°C. I'm planning to put another 50mm on mine and do just that.

Good idea 👍 

a job for the summer me thinks 

On 19/01/2024 at 19:29, Robert Clark said:

How would you improve drainage on a narrow lane without hard edging?

A narrow trench each side with coarse clean stone, and ensure the surface is cambered when its redone. If its flat, it will never last.

• Like 1