MIcrowave Shelf

Onoff

Evening, what's the thoughts on clearance all round on an enclosed shelf for raising a 700W microwave up in the air to give more worktop space? Thinking to construct from white painted flooring grade chipboard  with stained wood trim. Bit hesitant about drilling the wall as rented student accommodation etc.

20170916_193639.thumb.jpg.7cdd43c9c284d3acd464b8d8205c8c0c.jpg.f6b463408eab59d324f8333b408ed451.jpg

kit_001.thumb.jpg.652600d5cd00f821539b2e608364ef6d.jpg

kit_002.thumb.jpg.73d7061967b52c62f79f0ba8a5ac3ae0.jpg

Edited by Onoff

10 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I don't suppose the microwave could go *in* the wall unit? If you took a door off?

In my experience students plan their shopping about fifteen minutes ahead, so won't need all that cupboard space anyway.

Cupboards full of crackers, tins of tuna, cereal etc. Wouldn't fancy it that high tbh.

Students use cupboards for the first  week of the academic year, and then avoid using them. Theft.  You might as well give your child a small (micro) fridge for  use in the bedroom.

No matter how well behaved your child is, communal student living always results in high stress levels and defensive behaviour. Normal family rules do not apply. Even if every single student in a 'landing' is well behaved and considerate, just one coked-up eejit arriving after a party is enough to precipitate a race to the bottom in terms of behaviour. Bread in the wardrobe, milk on the window cill, mayo (you cant squeeze butter) somewhere under the bed where it slipped after last nights bout of kung-fu.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Students use cupboards for the first  week of the academic year, and then avoid using them. Theft.  You might as well give your child a small (micro) fridge for  use in the bedroom.

No matter how well behaved your child is, communal student living always results in high stress levels and defensive behaviour. Normal family rules do not apply. Even if every single student in a 'landing' is well behaved and considerate, just one coked-up eejit arriving after a party is enough to precipitate a race to the bottom in terms of behaviour. Bread in the wardrobe, milk on the window cill, mayo (you cant squeeze butter) somewhere under the bed where it slipped after last nights bout of kung-fu.

Agree with this but isn't @Onoff's sprog living on their own? Still think half of one cupboard will be plenty.

As a carless student you tend to shop little and often.

Is this a private uni rental or onsite de facto uni digs? If the latter, they may have their SOPs etc when it comes to kitchen alterations etc. Not sure if they have regular 'inspections'? But yes, having the m/w on a shelf rather than partly on that draining board would be a whole lot safer, free up space etc.

You can also get these mesh shelves - more air circulation: http://www.shop-equip.com/wire-wall-shelf.htm.

Probably also worth putting up a notice on the m/w "I need ventilation - Do not place chopping boards etc on top of me".

Every wall in the flat has signs of being previously drilled for brackets or whatever and has been very badly filled and not painted over. I'm going to re-mastic all the worktop edges etc. Just looks tatty and is a breeding ground for germs. The temptation is to balance the kettle or toaster on the microwave. I really don't want anything toppling into the sink. 

Anything I do will be ideally easily removeable and tbh will only add to the useability and safety of the place. Again, ideally, I'd drill the wall above where the sockets are but want to try and avoid that for various reasons (noise, hitting something). Thus the "shelf" will likely be on a leg (s). Tbh was even considering a line of Sika bond to the wall backing it up though that's a bit permanent. Maybe one leg, Sika on the back and a few screws to the u/side of the cupboard. Do it and argue the toss later on the grounds of safety.

As an aside the supplied broken desk chair we've noted on the inventory has yet to be replaced. Fairly fundemental I'd say to sitting at a desk to work.

Btw, he's yet to go out on the lash there. Not your typical fresher.

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

[...]

Btw, he's yet to go out on the lash there. Not your typical fresher.

And it was precisely that 'sort' of student who regularly would sit in my office and describe how others had misbehaved and caused misery at many different levels.  As far as HEIs are concerned, students are classified as adults and are therefore deemed responsible people. We regularly hear of 'uncaring HEIs' on Radio 4 - not caring about the mental health of undergrads: "How dare HEIs talk of the Data Protection Act" I heard the other day (R4 Consumer Program). On many occasions I would -when all other avenues had been tried and exhausted- talk informally to family, parents or guardians to find a way through a delicate impasse. And sometimes the delicate issue was parent-related.

@Onoff, be careful what you do if it's university property - or even University Approved accommodation . There will be a proper mechanism for asking the Uni Estates Office  for repairs. And if you can get the issue classified as H&S-related then you can expect prompt  action. The SU will (may) have an Accommodations Officer: take any action through them and or the university Accommodations Office (or whatever they call it). If that fails, then do something.....

50 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Be a bit careful about asking the uni people as they may come in and just slap a blanket ban on microwaves - happened in our daughters hall kitchen!

The microwave was supplied by the uni and on the inventory. Along with the exposed element kettle and broken, sparking toaster! :)

4 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I have got to ask, Why does it need to be fixed to anything, could you not just cut down the legs off a side table and sit that on the counter with the microwave on top?

fixing anything to the wall units is just asking for trouble IMO 

Wait till you've been married 25 years and you'll be gagging to get out to a freezing cold patio, in the dark and rain and play with power tools! :)

You know my motto;

"Not should I but can I?"

40 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

fair enough, I just wondered:) 

Think about it, if I had somewhere warm and dry to work she'd come in, hover and "want to talk"! ;)Ditto if I finished anything I'd have to come inside and again "talk". Nope, I'm quite happy veering off into yet another unfinished project territory.

• Like 2