New (to me) nail guns. Where best to get info.

Ive bought an old paslode nail gun, well 2 actually. 350/90 model.

I saw them both tested, and fired a few nails myself.

But I feel that a few tweaks of the nails and gas cylinder were needed by the vendor and maybe I have to learn the same.

Can anyone point me to an instruction manual or a good youtube demo?

I've got to buy batteries and charger but that looks straightforward.

Nails, the guy said to get slanted, partial headed ones.

Nail and gas prices seem to vary a lot. Can't see the reason for that except maybe SF  and TS charge what they can.

Either it's a bargain at £70 each or I've bought somebody else's problems. Do feel free to say.

20240110_161240.jpg

i have just picked up an older IM350 for £50, which needed a second battery (£16 of ebay). Have a look on ebay for batteries and chargers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252996687496?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=I1Fn5vPxTEC&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=WnEMtyMhSmC&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

i would clean and lubricate the slide as over time a bunch of the nail glue accumulates, for nails / gas i picked up these

https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-550-double-galvanised-nail-gas-fuel-pack/p20608

I am about to use it to do a bit of closed boarded fencing and they should be plenty for what i am using them for. I will report back how i get on.

• Like 1

I hired one for a weekend to build a fence. They have an adjustment on them to control how far in the nails go. Do some test shots on the same thickness of wood and adjust according to the manual and off you go. 

Main advantage is they give you a free hand to hold the wood in place.

Keep well away from kids!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

well i'm f%^ked then, as i am a big kid.

I have a IM65 that i have for a while, and i absolute love the thing, cladding is a doddle and also doing some horizontal slatted fencing with it which looks awesome.

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

A motto for life?

I have decided not to have kids, not sure how to break it to my son and daughter 😃

I actually let my 10 year old try out the IM65 which he handled pretty well but got tired as its pretty heavy.

9 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

i have just picked up an older IM350 for £50

Sounds like a bargain.

26 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Either it's a bargain at £70 each

Yes, also a bargain.

The copy batteries can be better than the originals.

Old gas and cold weather can cause misfiring.

Obviously please make sure the tools are not nicked as this just encourages thieving.

35 minutes ago, Temp said:

Found the instructions easily, now for maintenance.

https://itw.by/download/paslode/IM350-TEC-USG-GB-1.pdf

24 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

make sure the tools are not nicked as this just encourages thieving.

Yes that crossed my mind. It was at the guy's house, and he had a new gun that he borrowed the battery and gas from.  says he's a chippy and does these up as an extra.

So I chose to believe it, and didn't see any signs of markers on them.

From recent experience, the successful chippy lusts after the latest model, perhaps justifiably, and not these.

I will mark these  because, despite the low value, they are the sort of thing that gets nicked on sight, on site.

28 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Old gas and cold weather can cause misfiring.

In cold weather Get the customer (or wife!) to make you a cup of tea or coffee then put the gas canister in it to warm it up, works wonders in cold weather 🤷‍♂️.

42 minutes ago, Temp said:

Well I once fired a nail through a finger, said nail hit another nail and did a 90’ turn out the side of the timber I was holding 🙄. Keeps hands and feet well away. Saying that I loved my first and second fix paslodes and only sold them recently.

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

will mark these  because, despite the low value, they are the sort of thing that gets nicked on sight, on site.

Yes, I wrote my name in mine with a soldering iron.

Paslode official maintenance/cleaning guide.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAXH1VCXlAFN_Xsz2pBeSfZIJ6874ri4Y

Please be aware that if you purchase a tool from outside the UK, you will not be able to get the compatible nails and fuel within our UK distribution network, as the gas system is different.

So i'll have to watch out in buying charger/gas/nails on ebay, if the Continental spec is different. I wonder why though.

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

So i'll have to watch out in buying charger/gas/nails on ebay

I bought all my (non paslode) nails and gas from a local tool shop cheaper than anywhere else.

Just now, saveasteading said:

And then sold them to someone with the same name?

No, but I did point out what I had done and he was not fussed 🤷‍♂️

I did a bit of close boarded fencing on the weekend (first time I have ever done fencing). Paslode was invaluable. Though with my the depth gauge kept slipping which was annoying and something I need to sort out.

Probably saved myself £250 labour doing it myself, and it took about 6 hrs inc digging the holes and setting the posts

20240113_162716.thumb.jpg.c6622acf9a074899c75747683ccd9519.jpg

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

the depth gauge kept slipping which was annoying 

I don't know what this is. Does the nail disappear into the wood if this is set wrongly?

I've just been looking at the vast choice of nails. Something else to get an  understanding of. I can't see why there is a choice of 2.8mm or 3.2mm. Is that significant?

25 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Looks a very neat job.  It takes a bit more work to do the capping, cut the pales to the slope and shape the end few around the wall but it looks good.

capping was very easy as it was rebated so it just sits on top

20 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I don't know what this is. Does the nail disappear into the wood if this is set wrongly?

I've just been looking at the vast choice of nails. Something else to get an  understanding of. I can't see why there is a choice of 2.8mm or 3.2mm. Is that significant?

its just the setting that determines how far the nail is driven into the wood, and set by the tip of the gun which is held in space by to serrated plates which are tighten together by an allen bolt on the top of the gun. On mine the serrations on the plates are worn so don't hold in place very well.

the thickness of nail is dependant on its length, 2.8mm for about 50mm nails and 3.2mm for longer nails, e.g. 90mm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Yes the 2.8 is thinner than the 3.2. 

And in fact the 3.2 are fatter than 2.8. 

😂😂😂

For your framing nailer you want 3.2 x 34degree

minimum galv, for outside hotdipped galv. 

• Like 1

I did this on Saturday, with my second fix nailer, took ages with double slats

20240113_154902.thumb.jpg.dee7cae2264afccb9928265e90a4569c.jpg

i cheated a bit and needed to get sign off from the end client (wife) so put it into CAD to get my head around it and work out how much materials i needed

image.thumb.png.68c18bc01883a4d0ed37de323fe4031b.png

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

you want 3.2 x 34degree

minimum galv, for outside hotdipped galv. 

When might I want to save 0.4mm of steel and choose 2.8mm?  Every little helps save the planet I suppose and percentage-wise will be a lot.

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

When might I want to save 0.4mm of steel and choose 2.8mm?  Every little helps save the planet I suppose and percentage-wise will be a lot.

If you don’t want to split thin battens, 3.2 for everything apart from high quality cladding. 

• Like 1

To make a nail gun work reliably you need to be able to strip it down completely, lubricant and reassemble. Plenty of YouTube video to help you and you tne correct lube, not just WD40. Gas can be an issue in cold weather, pop it in a mug of tea. I have a Paslode IM350. They are not toys, don’t lend to anyone and where safety glasses. They are noisey so wear protection if inside or doing a lot of nailing. They will save you hours and build up the arm muscles. 

• Like 1

Mine have supposedly just been stripped to get them working again. The guy said to buy the proper oil, not wd40 so that is promising.

Are you suggesting I strip and reassemble now as an exercise, or wait til it needs it? Is it something to do every x nails?

I haven't got the bits I need yet, so won't be using them for a while. They are for a forthcoming project.

46 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I did this on Saturday, with my second fix nailer, took ages with double slats

Where were the slats from?   They look like 2 x 1 treated with rounded corners.  I am looking for something like this.