CLS or general carcassing timber for studwork

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

Doesn’t matter if you pick the best ones you can, they still go out of shape 👎🏻

If they are straight when you get them they are less likely to move, especially if used quickly and held in place.

6 hours ago, BadgerBadger said:

Any thoughts if I should definitely be using CLS for internal stud walls? Or is general 4x2 timber commonly used too?

Thanks.

Two things you need to watch out for..

If the wall is load bearing a standard British or EU section will be 95 mm deep, the equivalent CLS section depth 89mm and the widths are also different.

CLS can be cheaper but the amount of wood you get is less.. you get what you pay for.. don't complain later if what you bought does not fulfill it's intended function. An 89 mm deep stud has about 12% less bending capacity than a 95 mm deep stud and I have not included the width reduction .. buttttt.. it's only a quarter of an inch>> who would have "thunk that?

Ruskin the common law of business:

"It's unwise to pay too much...but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Doesn’t matter if you pick the best ones you can, they still go out of shape 👎🏻

This is why MF has become so popular 

1 minute ago, nod said:

This is why MF has become so popular 

I’ve used 4x2 between bedrooms due to the Iddiot Architect specifying Timber and 25 mil ply for wind bracing 

It took me twice as long as mf and em will give me more work when I’m tiling 

8 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ve used 4x2 between bedrooms due to the Iddiot Architect specifying Timber and 25 mil ply for wind bracing 

bit late to be calling him an "iddiot" now. Why didn't you query it?

14 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

bit late to be calling him an "iddiot" now. Why didn't you query it?

I did 

But it was already on the materials submission Yep should have checked every single word I spotter the cranked steel that would have Protruded into my kitchen and that when I added up the dpc to ridge measure It was 300 mil out 

Just wonder what I’m paying for 

• Sad 1