I am about to insulate a wall. 

I am comparing Jablite (not basic polystyrene) to PIR board.

I can make the wall thicker when using Jablite rather than PIR so thickness is no problem.

It will not face compressive forces so no compressive strength issues.

The cost seems to be about half.

Both products seem to be combustible.

If I understand it right, PIR encapsulates a gas which leaks out over time eventually reducing the product to the same u-value as Polystyrene.

Why shouldn't I use Jablite?

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I understand it right, PIR encapsulates a gas which leaks out over time eventually reducing the product to the same u-value as Polystyrene

Where does that come from (reference)?

Why not use mineral wool, if it's a stud wall Frametherm 32 is pretty good, easy to install well. Polystyrene or PIR is a pain in the butt to install well.

PUR insulation does contain artificial blowing agents that give the product an enhanced thermal performance and yes this does leak out over time reducing the thermal efficiency. Check the thermal performance of foil faced boards against that of tissue faced flat roof boards. Foil faced is always better as it delays the escape of the gas. The test method for the thermal conductivity accounts for this with an artificially accelerated aging process prior to testing so quoted values are acceptable longer term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

I am comparing Jablite (not basic polystyrene) to PIR board.

I can make the wall thicker when using Jablite rather than PIR so thickness is no problem.

It will not face compressive forces so no compressive strength issues.

The cost seems to be about half.

Both products seem to be combustible.

If I understand it right, PIR encapsulates a gas which leaks out over time eventually reducing the product to the same u-value as Polystyrene.

Why shouldn't I use Jablite?

Because I used ICF for the walls and EPS for the foundation, I have a mild bias for EPS over PIR. 

But putting aside thermal properties for a moment, neither EPS or PIR are very good for acoustic insulation. It might not be relevant for your current purpose, but it is another dimension to easily overlook. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Laslett said:

neither EPS or PIR are very good for acoustic insulation.

+1, you need acoustic insulation (mass is good) or detachment ( staggered stud wall) 

10 hours ago, Marvin said:

Internal I guess?

IMG_0317.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

PIR boards are made from polyisocyanurate foam, which is a higher density rigid foam than expanded polystyrene.
PIR rigid foam has better thermal insulation properties than polystyrene.
PIR insulation in 100mm thickness is approx. 30% better than 100mm EPS in terms of r-value.
PIR insulation is more effective at resisting heat flow than expanded polystyrene so even if you will go thicker with eps it won't be the same.
PIR in theory should be better in terms of energy efficiency and cost savings in heating and cooling.
If you need acoustic insulation I would go for rockwool rwa45 between the studs or acoustic roll on metal frame and blue sound plasterboards with sealant over it.
If you need thermal insulation mostly and a bit of acoustic I would go for pir insualted plasterboard

9 hours ago, Polish Builder said:

If you need acoustic insulation I would go for rockwool rwa45 between the studs or acoustic roll on metal frame and blue sound plasterboards with sealant over it.

Or something sharing most of the properties of rockwool. I've used BioFib Trio (cotton+linen+hemp) and it seems to be doing its job. It has similar heat conductivity and sound absorption properties to rockwool. Of course for sound insulation you also need mass (more than either rockwool or BioFib trio provide).

• Like 1