Building that dream

Jimp

Hi,

Another newbie here to gleam your valuable knowledge!

We currently live in Slough and are in the process of selling our home and relocating to near Doncaster and would like to build our own house if budget allows. I had to close my business due to health problems and my wife and i feel this is the right time in our lives to seize this opportunity.

We intend to rent first and look around the area to see what available plots there are and see if it's viable and within our budget. I have been lurking on here for a few days now and been reading up on all the different build options and veering towards PH TF build but without the certification. 

I must admit it all looks a bit daunting, i didn't realise there would be so much to learn/research etc, i feel i have only just scratched the surface from joining this forum.

Jim

• Like 1

Hello @Jimp.

You are right it isn't easy. But it is possible. This discussion board is full of stories showing the spirit and determination of self builders. You have  owned a business. You'll know the level of focus, determination and drive you need to maintain that. Well, you've passed the first test, because you'll need a lot of that skill set.

Use the time between now and buying a plot to plan. You just cannot do enough of that.

Do, please try to research answers to your questions by poking around in the search facility on the site. It takes a bit of getting used to, but just about every topic possible is covered here: sometimes it's hidden away from site: we encourage you to use the tagging system - I've added an 'example tag' to the title of you thread. (You can change it at will).

Advice? Network, network, network. Read voraciously. Then network some more. Plan a bit, review it in the light of experience and then re-plan. 

You've come to the right place. ;)

Welcome aboard. :)

Remember, to reduce the rent bill you can move into a static on site once you've got planning etc in the bag. That can reduce outgoings massively and you can spend that outside dead money on a flashy kitchen instead. They're a lot more accommodating than most think so keep it in mind. 

Welcome Jim. Your right it is challenge, we would, well most of us here, agree! Loads of decisions. You need an internal philosophy that gets you over the lumps and bumps - mine is 'When the going gets tough the tough keep going' and 'you only get this flash of life between two great eternities - better make the most of it'. 

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice @recoveringacademic, @Nickfromwales and @MikeSharp01

There's certainly a lot to think about.

Looking at some of the plots for sale around the area we're looking at I'm torn between serviced with PP and plots without but that route looks like a beginners nightmare. At first glance serviced with PP look very tight for our budget, most of them are around the 150k mark which would leave a build budget of only 200k with no contingency.

Just now, Jimp said:

[....]

most of them are around the 150k mark which would leave a build budget of only 200k with no contingency.

Welcome to the club. Bumping into '....You what? How much?....' is par for the course. It's totally normal. After you've been here for a bit, and you can find one -just one- person who has not spent all their budget, I'll shave @Nickfromwales legs. In public. In a pub of his choosing in Wales. At his expense.

Resilience.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has at least outline planning permission. Some plots are serviced, some are not. that's not a big issue as long as the price reflects it, and you are sure services ARE available.  (note the recent Grand Designs house who left the water connection until last, and only then found it cost £40K)

Building a house for £200K should be possible, I am trying to do that including the plot price.

13 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

...I'll shave @Nickfromwales legs. 

Give him a couple of weeks' notice so he can allow some growth for you to hack at.

17 minutes ago, Jimp said:

Looking at some of the plots for sale around the area we're looking at I'm torn between serviced with PP and plots without but that route looks like a beginners nightmare. At first glance serviced with PP look very tight for our budget, most of them are around the 150k mark which would leave a build budget of only 200k with no contingency.

Buying a plot without planning permission is a minefield. If a plot doesn't have planning permission, you have to ask why the current owner hasn't sought it, given the huge uplift in value that planning permission provides.  

In my opinion, buying such a plot without really (really) knowing your onions is a recipe for a lot of stress and delay at the very least, and a significant loss of funds at worst.

And welcome to the forum. B|

+1 for do your homework on the services. Before you close a deal on a plot without services get the local utilities to give you a quote. They will know where their services are and you can then rest easy - or run a mile on those costs. Also in your preferred are watch out for old mine workings way below the surface, I am aware of at least one new build, 20 years back, that has been destroyed by an old mine collapse.