ASHP developments

47 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

The way around that is to do similar to RED heat pumps, and use a modified version of the Harlequin vented cylinder (way bigger coils than standard), it also does not require an overhead tank, as the DHW is produced via a coil, so pretty similar to thermal store. No access to drains is needed, pipe to from heating coil, cold in hot out.

As i understand it the harlequin is essentially a thermal store, which have 

Imited delivery capacity unless heated to a temp much higher than the delivery temp, so not a great match to a heat pump.

14 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

As i understand it the harlequin is essentially a thermal store, which have 

Imited delivery capacity unless heated to a temp much higher than the delivery temp, so not a great match to a heat pump.

Must admit fully agree, now I'm using an UVC.

On 03/01/2024 at 17:10, Beelbeebub said:

That's the key bit, the installer having to come back and adjust. 

With gas boilers the installer can wind it up to max, and then the thermostat on/offs to control the temp.

Which installer love because they don't have spend an hour to drive back to your house to twist a dial on the boiler. 

With HPs that leads to poor cop and low output which gives high running costs and not enough heat output. 

Hi @Beelbeebub

Interesting.... so...

ASHPs Can already give the COP results. I think what's needed is a management system in the ASHP that the installer can input all the info from an ASHP building installation survey and then the ASHP would calculate what the COP SCOP should be and learn by results what the best setup would be. However this would need a lot of internal and external sensors to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2024 at 22:35, SteamyTea said:

Amazes me as well.

I posted up how to make a pretty accurate electrical energy meter and logger.  I have never seen a gas smart meter but suspect they have a flashing LED on them, so my design would work with them as well.  Some of the newer mechanical ones had a magnet on the spinning disk, so a change of sensor and it could read them.

The advantage of logged data is that you can see how long something is actually running for, which is most useful for sizing.

Just stumbled across this - http://measuredheatloss.com/  tools for measuring as-built heat loss from a building, much like we do for air tightness. 

• Like 1