How to insulate loft hatch with existing ladder

Novice Becky

Any ideas as to how you would go about insulating a loft hatch with a ladder attached?  Any examples? We inherited the loft ladder - it might be 40+ years old but does a good job. The ladder is fixed to the hinged loft hatch door as well as to the joist/binder at the top.

Would you just stick some sort of PIR insulation board on, cutting around where the ladder is attached to the hatch, and just accept that there will be breaks in the insulation? Is there a thinner insulation board I could use? There's not much space between the wooden hatch and the ladder at the top of the ladder.

Or would you remove the ladder, fix insulation to the wooden loft hatch and then remount the ladder on top of the insulation. (I need to remove the ladder anyway in order to get a new MVHR unit through but there's a lot of rusty looking screws.) In which case what (screwable) insulation material would you use?  Would I need to relocate the top of the ladder? Or would I need a different ladder?

Open to suggestions!

Thanks.

loft ladder 2.JPG

loft ladder 1.JPG

You could ju I'll seest replace it with an insulated and air sealed loft access with ladder. Screwfix and others sell them.

Or could you space the ladder away from the hatch more, then glue PIR on to the hatch. The more the better.

• 3 weeks later...