Scolmore click

crispy_wafer

My mate has put me onto scolmore sockets and switches, mainly due to the fact that I wanted a raised double lounge plate which Hager don’t do in the style I wanted.  He rates them highly and is bringing me a couple of samples tonight to play with and show the foreman!

Never heard of the manufacturer myself, but my pal who sells this stuff seems to rate them.  Anyone else able to tell if me they are decent enough to use?

Ta

Marek

Yes they are my go to choice for basic stuff.  They are cheap but good quality.  A lot of our house has them.

One of their hidden tricks, id the light switches you can remove the switch modules, handy if you want to mix intermediate switches with ordinary switches without having to go to a full grid system.

• Like 2

Been using them almost exclusively for 15+ years almost every day. The only products I don't recommend are Definity screwless (Schneider Ultimate is far superior) and the Click dimmer modules. Buy the plates and knobs from Click and fit V Pro modules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I don't know what that means.

Is it explainable another way please?

If you do more than 2 way switching, i.e. if you want the same light controlled by three switches, then the middle one has to be an intermediate switch which is different and has 4 terminals.

If it then happened that the intermediate switch had to be on the same switch plate and another switch controlling a different light then with most manufacturers you have a problem.  Most manufacturers only sell single intermediate switches and the traditional way around that is buy "grid switches" where you buy a mounting frame and the whatever switch modules you need.  but that limits your choice.

The Scolmore Click are not exactly grid switches but you can unscrew the switch mechanism with a single screw and swap them from one switch to another enabling you to mix intermediate and normal switches on one plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

you want the same light controlled by three switches, 

I can't think I have ever come across this. I didnt know if existed. Sounds complicated or it will short.

Perhaps it had always been simplified to 2 lights with 2 way switching.

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I can't think I have ever come across this. I didnt know if existed. Sounds complicated or it will short.

Perhaps it had always been simplified to 2 lights with 2 way switching.

not so unusual really-  bottom of stair, top of stair, far end of landing...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

....  Anyone else able to tell if me they are decent enough to use?

Yes they are.

Scolmore's website is ( was when i used it) just dreadful. They sell all sorts of interesting switches, but you have (had maybe) to hunt for them. 

I've  one switch which sometimes 'sticks' bewtween ON and OFF. Never happens to me but (why oh God why ?) it often happens to Debbie. 

Male designed that's why innit ... 🙄

5 hours ago, saveasteading said:

can't think I have ever come across this. I didnt know if existed. Sounds complicated

Main bedroom light switched from by the door or either side of the bed.  Bedside lights were 2 gang also switching  a wall light.  So one of them had to be a 2 way and an intermediate side by side on the same plate.

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

not so unusual really-  bottom of stair, top of stair, far end of landing...

I seem to be the only person who has the downstairs hall light also switched from top of stair and bottom of stair.  It just seems such an omission not to do it.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I seem to be the only person who has the downstairs hall light also switched from top of stair and bottom of stair.  It just seems such an omission not to do it.

Soon not. Our electrician had just wired this up on his recommendation. I hadn't even thought of it before he provided his advice.

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I'm regularly annoyed by this omission, I can do the opposite but why not both ways? To save pennies I guess...

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No I am with you.  We have a four storey house, so lots of intermediate switches.  I also like the click mode.