Internal or external Soil Pipes

iMCaan

On 09/11/2023 at 20:05, Gus Potter said:

"Can below ground PVCu drainage pipe or fittings be installed for above ground sanitary pipework?

Below ground PVCu drainage pipe and fittings can only be used underground, they are not manufactured to the correct standards or material formulation for above ground applications, Building Regulations Part H state that PVCu materials for above ground gravity sanitary pipework should be to BS EN 1329"

Below ground pipes tend to be brownish.

This does raise the question why? BS EN 1329 has been withdrawn so that's out of date. Why can't you use underground pipe above ground? The pipe itself must be made to the same size as above ground because they have to fit to each other. The underground may not be as UV stable as the above ground but using it inside that'll not be an issue. You would expect underground pipe if anything, to be stronger than above ground as it's normally buried. So that leaves it being the wrong colour. The Building Regulations are quite clear in Regulation 8 that Part H (along with most parts) only relates to reasonable health and safety matters. I can't see having a brown internal svp would have an adverse impact on anyones H&S. Just musing...........

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 20:57, kandgmitchell said:

This does raise the question why? BS EN 1329 has been withdrawn so that's out of date. Why can't you use underground pipe above ground?

Fair enough.. but it's primarily the fittings, bends couplings etc and the glue if you are using it.

The main thing in my view is that if you are using above ground fittings and brown pipe that you may sure the seals / glue are compatible.

BS EN 1329 has been withdrawn so that's out of date.

What's the latest code we should be using? .. and what parts of that have been ammended relate to what we are talking about?

can't see having a brown internal svp would have an adverse impact 

It definitely fails in sunlight. It goes white and brittle.

Perhaps it fails but more slowly in internal air/ daylight.

It really isn't worth using it above ground.

Why the fuss?

Sorry, meant the original BS 1329 has been withdrawn you need to use the latest 2020 version. It however is behind a £276 paywall so I can't tell you what has changed.

I'm not convinced that manufacturers don't use the same extruding machines for both brown and grey so wall thickness, o/a dia etc are the same but just tint the plastic a different colour.......