Recommended hole cutter bits

jayc89

Need a set of tile hole cutters to make the holes required for a wall hung W/C and concealed bath/shower valves (25mm, 68mm and 120mm - or there abouts). Can't seem to find a kit that includes all 3x sizes.

I'll only need to cut a couple of holes per bit then I'll flog them - any recommendations as to what hole cutters I should go for?

What material are you going through? And the sizes you want will not be in one kit.

ah, just noticed the tile bit.

25mm is no problem for a cheapie diamond cutter, the larger sizes you are better off chain drilling and nibbling or diamond disk on angle grinder for the 120mm diameter

Edited by markc

10 minutes ago, markc said:

What material are you going through? And the sizes you want will not be in one kit.

ah, just noticed the tile bit.

25mm is no problem for a cheapie diamond cutter, the larger sizes you are better off chain drilling and nibbling or diamond disk on angle grinder for the 120mm diameter

6 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Whether they're standard earthenware tiles or porcelain, you probably want diamond bits. Those big holes would be hard work in porcelain. As in, you might prefer to get them cut outside - say by a granite place.

Argh, they're porcelain - https://tilesparadiseuk.com/products/rich-black-gold-high-gloss-porcelain-60x120cm-kitchen-bathroom-wall-floor-tiles?_pos=1&_psq=Black+and+gold+wall&_ss=e&_v=1.0.

I have a 115mm tile cutter disc that I've been using to cut some ceramic floor tiles, can I get away with using that for the 120mm hole and nibbing the 68mm one? 

Edited by jayc89

6 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Argh, they're porcelain - https://tilesparadiseuk.com/products/rich-black-gold-high-gloss-porcelain-60x120cm-kitchen-bathroom-wall-floor-tiles?_pos=1&_psq=Black+and+gold+wall&_ss=e&_v=1.0.

I have a 115mm tile cutter disc that I've been using to cut some ceramic floor tiles, can I get away with using that for the 120mm hole and nibbing the 68mm one? 

Hi, for the 68 I would use a 6mm ish drill all the way round cut slice across the centre with the disk and then nibble out.

larger hole you can score around with the disk, slice centre and then break/nibble  out. 

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Hi, for the 68 I would use a 6mm ish drill all the way round cut slice across the centre with the disk and then nibble out.

larger hole you can score around with the disk, slice centre and then break/nibble  out. 

Sounds like a sure fire way for me to ruin a tile :) Thanks, I'll give it a go later on. Wish me luck... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayc89 said:

Something like this?

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 16.17.00.png

Yes, sort of draw a line around the outside of the holes required giving 10mm or so wiggle room. Might need to be closer at the mounting holes dependant on the pan design

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

sorry for the delay. here's what my tiler did for ours.

image.jpeg.01afef0ea37a7faa71c8f56dadfdbb0a.jpeg

Pretty smart and better than the butchery I was about to attempt. Presumably just measured the 4 corners and joined the dots? I'll give it a whirl. 

33 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

That looks very neat. Know how he did that?

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

i'll pop out and ask him.....

it's all done with the angle grinder! i am very impressed. he is a very good tiler though so i shouldn't be surprised.

7 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Well I still can't fathom how you can do that with a conventional diamond disk. Certainly, if I did it it would end up being a bit of a mess :).

I'm always impressed with a contractor who can do that good a job and I can't even guess how.

I haven't tried yet, but I'd transcribe the protrusions onto the back of the tile, using the tiling protectors as templates to get the circles the correct diameter, just like you would when boarding the frame in. Then use a straight end to draw a diamond encasing those outlines. Cut along the diamond lines. 

Sounds pretty simple in theory, I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DTHGN5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these to do my parents bathroom earlier this year.  Unexpectedly went through the thick 10mm porcelain tiles no problem including some holes quite near the tile edges.  Just took my time with plenty of lubrication.   At this price I wouldn’t expect longevity TBH.  Appreciate not the diameters you’re looking for, but I successfully cut multiple holes to make the required bigger holes.

3 minutes ago, Bozza said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DTHGN5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these to do my parents bathroom earlier this year.  Unexpectedly went through the thick 10mm porcelain tiles no problem including some holes quite near the tile edges.  Just took my time with plenty of lubrication.   At this price I wouldn’t expect longevity TBH.  Appreciate not the diameters you’re looking for, but I successfully cut multiple holes to make the required bigger holes.

I saw them and thought "Nah, must be crap" 🤣

5 hours ago, jayc89 said:

I saw them and thought "Nah, must be crap" 🤣

Yeah I didn’t expect much but was really surprised.   Wouldn’t expect longevity from them but they were great for single use.  If you do go for them  I found best technique was to not to go straight in at 90degrees, but at an angle to create a little curved ridge, then as it scored in, bring the drill up to 90 deg to complete the scored circle then obviously drive down.   Initially with drill and arms held stable against thigh/body to prevent driil wavering.  Other tip was to get bit of wet sponge pushed into the bit, to provide constant water lubrication.

Running behind as ever, but today’s the day.

I plan to;

- make sure the pan fits (I.e the rods are in the right holes

- draw a diamond on the plasterboard using the protrusions as a guide

- take the measurements of the 4x diamond points and transfer them to my tile

- connect the dots and turn the grinder on.

wish me luck… 

F4B78D06-ABCC-4429-81B5-4BAFDF2014F1.jpeg

• Like 1