Hearth Size

Hi

trying to decide on the right size of hearth from the wall for opening of 760 mm, I understand what building regulations say this is more what looks right.  I have drawn a hearth on the floor which is 1400mm x 450mm and one at 1400mm x 500mm but not sure about it.

What has othere people went for as i see some hearth advertised at 600mm deep.  Also what have you used for the hearth I need somthing robust as concenrned people will drag things accross it even if they are told not to.

395602341_3380954198881555_3121319508588021818_n.jpg

I would look out for a suitable material and then you'll have a starting point for size, based on what's available.

For robust, you won't beat solid stone of some kind.

I've always used tiles because it can look great and it's cheap. Previous house I used natural slate floor tiles, it looked the bomb and cost about £10. On the next house I was advised to use porcelain 'slate effect' instead because apparently real slate can stain.

I've heard that an old pool table is a good place to get slate from.

On 26/10/2023 at 09:39, ToughButterCup said:

The bigger the hearth the more generous the 'feel'.

Thanks for that tip. Every day is a school day. I'm off to think about that and put that in my book of learning. Scary thing is that the older you get the more you realise how much you don't know!

I made one with rustic  bricks sliced in half as a kerbed  edging, and infilled with floor tiles. It works well in keeping the mess in control, and catching cinders. But someone dropped a log from a height and a tile broke.  

Another time, I'd use heavier tiles, or slate.

As well as complying with the rules, check your own, and others',  comfort in leaning in to feed and clean the fire.

The legs look a bit short on the stove...

@GrantMcscott  Is the stove designed so it cannot "cause the temperature of the upper surface of the hearth to exceed 100°C" ?

If the hearth can get hotter then 100C then Approved Doc J requires a thick concrete "Constructional Hearth" - Diagram 27b or c.

If the hearth wont get hotter than 100C then you want Diagram 27a. So that would be a minimum of 300mm in front and 150mm either side of the opening. It should be 12mm taller than the FFL.

We made a template and took it to a local monumental stone mason who had some offcuts of black granite work top in the yard. He honed off the gloss finish and it looks great. 

image.png.24d011bfb96748a57f3dcae20714717c.png

image.thumb.png.7220873ab9cb5b0f251af5d7a0a5f365.png

Edited by Temp