Which 3d printer ?

58 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Been reading up the bambu lab is really the boy and mixed views on creality .

Ask creality to cancel my order for now . @Onoff was selling me a dud 

😂 YOU wanted to pay virca £200 and I delivered. @Thorfun's one is twice the price.

A £5k Ultimaker S5 is the mutts nuts. Dual extruder to so you could print supports in say PVA (yes PVA glue in filament form) and soak them off in water once printing is completed.

Auto bed levelling is fine if you can't use feeler gauges! 

Honestly that Ender is a great starter printer. 

Cabinet? Make your own like we have:

20200517_173940

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

I want to print and go not faff 

See we wanted to tinker, learn and do father and son stuff:

Made a new base plate for the Anycubic.

From this:

IMG_20221224_151211439

Yes this:

IMG_20221224_151211439

To this:

IMG_20221226_155503880

IMG_20221228_215121580

IMG_20221230_134305755

IMG-20221230-WA0001

Located the PSU outside the heated enclosure etc, etc.

IMG_20230216_192555510

As I don't have a middle name I was considering Faff.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

😂 YOU wanted to pay virca £200 and I delivered. @Thorfun's one is twice the price.

You know what happens . Initially you see you can get something for around 200 . Then you look and watch videos / read reviews and see more toys for more £££££.

Just now, Pocster said:

You know what happens . Initially you see you can get something for around 200 . Then you look and watch videos / read reviews and see more toys for more £££££.

No I don't know. Cheap seats / skip diver here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

I didn’t know what it was until I googled ! P1s seems good ….

Go the extra mile! With the X1 you can print exotic filaments like carbon and glass fibre reinforced filaments. It's built tougher than the P1, all metal gears, nozzle geared up for abrasive materials like the above. Out of my price range. 

I go way back with this lad Andrew and he has the Bambu X1:

https://www.crutchworks.com/

As for software... I'm liking the free Personal/non commercial version of Fusion 360. You can export from that to any of the slicer programs. I'm using Cura which works but there might be better slicers out there.

My printer was an ultra cheap A8 kit since heavily modified. Great for learning and experimenting but if starting over I'd buy something better with auto bed levelling.

One other thing mine can't do is pause and resume a print. It crashes if you try. That means I have to be sure I have enough filament left as I can't pause to load a new spool. Also can't pause to drop in a captive nut and print over the top of it.  

• Like 1

You can pause/resume on the Anycubic i3 Mega S. Handy if we have a power cut.

It doesn't work though if we have the borosilicate glass on. Resume ignores the Z axis alteration for the glass thickness. 

The Anycubic Ultrabase is very good.

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

You can pause/resume on the Anycubic i3 Mega S. Handy if we have a power cut.

It doesn't work though if we have the borosilicate glass on. Resume ignores the Z axis alteration for the glass thickness. 

The Anycubic Ultrabase is very good.

But Bambi lab p1s looks SO nice ….

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tbh it's no use you buying a 3D printer, printing filaments are very sensitive to damp atmospheres! 😉

Yes, ideally, you need to keep them in a humidified cabinet  or a humidor, although I think cigars need about 70%RH, filament needs less than 45%RH

7 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

Yes, ideally, you need to keep them in a humidified cabinet  or a humidor, although I think cigars need about 70%RH, filament needs less than 45%RH

I made a sauna hot box for drying our acrylic sheets before they were vacuum formed.

Should have rented it out to the local swingers on the weekends, would have been more profitable.

If you aren't proficient in CAD / can't draw & model in 3D then you'll initially be limited to printing other people's designs. Many are free, check out Yeggi & Printables for a start:

https://www.yeggi.com/

https://www.printables.com/

Cults3D for example has designs you need to pay a small charge for sometimes but then as @SteamyTeasays, you're used to paying for it.....

This then seemed apt to start you off:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/home/ass-penholder

• Like 1