Toilet/shower block: what regs apply?

Crofter

Asking for a friend, who is considering getting into the glamping business. This would involve a number of pods and/or yurts, which would obviously be building regs exempt (as portable buildings), as well as a facilities block for toilets, showers, and perhaps laundry and basic cooking area.

if the facilities block was likewise a portable building, then it's happy days. However my friend is keen to convert an existing stone byre for this. I know that as soon as you put sleeping accommodation into a building, or it exceeds 30m2, then you are into regs territory- but what about toilet, shower, laundry, kitchen?

Dont know about Scotland but in England and Wales you need a licence for a camp site that you can only apply for after getting planning permission.

https://www.gov.uk/camping-licence-wales

The licence application also has some health and safety stuff on it. 

New electric supplies to a portable or permanent building would be notifiable.

Obviously planning would be required for all of these things, and a BW for the wastewater treatment.

What I'm hoping to clarify is the standard that the facilities block needs to be built to. As many of us know, it can be pretty hard to upgrade an old building to meet modern regs if you are converting it into a house. But does a toilet/shower block need to meet the same standards as a house?

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

I take it they already have / will have a chunky electricity supply.  ? Electric showers seem the easiest solution. 

It's early days yet- lots of decisions ahead.

Agree that electric could be good. It would be a fairly small setup (maybe 2 showers max) and for summer use only, so incoming temp ought to be reasonable. And any sort of shower must feel like luxury if you've just woken up in a yurt, surely?

Some stuff here about public toilets, which is not necessarily the same thing but...

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/bs-6465-12006-amendment-12009-sanitary-installations-code-practice-design-sanitary-facilities-and

A blog by someone who campaigns for more public toilets...stuff in there about LA plans for the same but in England. Might apply under another guise in Scotland.

https://gailknight.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/planning/

38 minutes ago, Crofter said:

It's early days yet- lots of decisions ahead.

Agree that electric could be good. It would be a fairly small setup (maybe 2 showers max) and for summer use only, so incoming temp ought to be reasonable. And any sort of shower must feel like luxury if you've just woken up in a yurt, surely?

I'd have thought lol. 

No worries about legionella / seasonal disinfection / purging then too. Easier to mothball it with electric showers and instants over sinks with no stored water in them. 

I have always found the duty building control officer helpful when I have a query. unlike the planners, they are happy to talk to the public. Just give them a ring and discuss it.  There are plenty of such old buildings used as toilet / shower / cooking facilities on camp sites.