Contemporary lighting ideas, without downlights?

flanagaj

We were recently in Italy and were fortunate to stay in a very contemporary apartment.  I can't recall seeing downlights in the ceilings, and in one room there were two 2cm strips running down the wall vertically and at first I thought it was some sort of expansion joint, but it was an LED light.  Very neat looking ultra minimalist.   I am thinking that if you go for shadow gaps you have to also do something different with the lighting arrangement.

Keen to hear of any stories, or if anyone has any good links on the subject.

Thanks

We have some vaulted ceilings. At the top of the wall we've installed an led trough. They're about 10cm tall and at the top come out enough to take an led trough. This throws light upwards and is great for creating a wash of light up the sloping ceilings. In the large kitchen/dining/living room, each area has a separate dimming controller, so you can have scenes with different light levels. 

In other rooms we've used downlighters that you can hardly see. They have a whitish translucent disc across the actual light - think you can get these in Screwfix. There are more expensive ones that can be inset in the plasterboard giving a flush very minimalist finish. 

Simon

• 3 months later...
On 22/09/2023 at 13:39, Bramco said:

We have some vaulted ceilings. At the top of the wall we've installed an led trough. They're about 10cm tall and at the top come out enough to take an led trough. This throws light upwards and is great for creating a wash of light up the sloping ceilings. In the large kitchen/dining/living room, each area has a separate dimming controller, so you can have scenes with different light levels. 

In other rooms we've used downlighters that you can hardly see. They have a whitish translucent disc across the actual light - think you can get these in Screwfix. There are more expensive ones that can be inset in the plasterboard giving a flush very minimalist finish. 

Simon

@Bramco would you have any pictures, have a couple of vaulted sections and looking ideas, thanks.

@JackofAll

Hi, below a few photos - in the big kitchen, dining living space, we split this into 3 areas, each on/off and dimmable seperately. In the evening we'll only use the living space leds. You can see this on one of the photos, where I've set different levels on each of the sections.

On one of the photos, you can see the end of the coving - the sparkies specced this and supplied it - it was incredibly lightweight. To put it up, they lasered a line in and tapped some pins in every 50cm or so and then simply 'no nailed' it to the wall.  The end of the coving you can see has had the slot at the back disguised - essentially there's a step down from the edge and the led trough and diffusers sit in there.

We used the ARC Led controllers -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/1689-arc-led-universal-12-24v-4-channel-receiver-with-push-dim-input.html They now do a wifi version but we're happy enough using a remote - you can can program 3 scenes on the remote -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/917-arc-led-single-colour-4-zone-remote-control-black.html.  We also put in an RF wall controller but never use it - similar to this one -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/1278-arc-led-4-zone-single-colour-battery-operated-touch-wall-panel-black.html.

Actual drivers and led strips were all specced and supplied by the sparkie. The leds are simple warm white - no fancy colours.....

Here's some photos - let me know if you want any more info - I can probably get the spec for the covings if you need that.  Also, in the bedrooms with vaulted ceilings, we did the same but also have 3 spots on the long side of the vaulting (they're uneven, i.e. come down further on one side). Again I can send photos of this if you are interested - we used BG wall touch dimmers for these.

The 3rd image is a bit blurred, had to reduce it's size to be able to attach all 3.

Simon

view of all 3 zones and end of coving.jpg

end of led coving.jpg

3 different zones and light levels 2.jpg

• Like 2

Just make sure your boarders and Plasterers are good enough to have their work spot lighted!!

For examples, find any house rendered with downlights installed. What looks outstanding in the day, suddenly looks like whipped cream under side lights!

Alternatively, boarding and Plasters, immaculate during the day, but with the wrong angle of light...  My example below... :(

20240105_172948.jpg

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

You can be very creative with office led lighting if needed.. 

Simple trim around the edge can make it look like a faux skylight. Most people assume it is one! 

Without the risk of leaking. 

20240105_173838.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bramco said:

@JackofAll

Hi, below a few photos - in the big kitchen, dining living space, we split this into 3 areas, each on/off and dimmable seperately. In the evening we'll only use the living space leds. You can see this on one of the photos, where I've set different levels on each of the sections.

On one of the photos, you can see the end of the coving - the sparkies specced this and supplied it - it was incredibly lightweight. To put it up, they lasered a line in and tapped some pins in every 50cm or so and then simply 'no nailed' it to the wall.  The end of the coving you can see has had the slot at the back disguised - essentially there's a step down from the edge and the led trough and diffusers sit in there.

We used the ARC Led controllers -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/1689-arc-led-universal-12-24v-4-channel-receiver-with-push-dim-input.html They now do a wifi version but we're happy enough using a remote - you can can program 3 scenes on the remote -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/917-arc-led-single-colour-4-zone-remote-control-black.html.  We also put in an RF wall controller but never use it - similar to this one -> https://arc-led.co.uk/controller/1278-arc-led-4-zone-single-colour-battery-operated-touch-wall-panel-black.html.

Actual drivers and led strips were all specced and supplied by the sparkie. The leds are simple warm white - no fancy colours.....

Here's some photos - let me know if you want any more info - I can probably get the spec for the covings if you need that.  Also, in the bedrooms with vaulted ceilings, we did the same but also have 3 spots on the long side of the vaulting (they're uneven, i.e. come down further on one side). Again I can send photos of this if you are interested - we used BG wall touch dimmers for these.

The 3rd image is a bit blurred, had to reduce it's size to be able to attach all 3.

Simon

view of all 3 zones and end of coving.jpg

end of led coving.jpg

3 different zones and light levels 2.jpg

Thanks Simon, looks good, appreciate the links. Nice solar array too.

Edited by JackofAll

5 hours ago, Andehh said:

Just make sure your boarders and Plasterers are good enough to have their work spot lighted!!

For examples, find any house rendered with downlights installed. What looks outstanding in the day, suddenly looks like whipped cream under side lights!

Alternatively, boarding and Plasters, immaculate during the day, but with the wrong angle of light...  My example below... :(

20240105_172948.jpg

That's unfortunate, like the light fitting though.

16 hours ago, Andehh said:

Fortunately ours were brilliant. Looks great during the day and also at night when lit.  Maybe we were fortunate.

Simon

I’ve purposefully tried to avoid lighting that highlights flaws in the boarding and plastering in areas that are obviously visible. We’ve had three plasterers, two of them didn’t do the greatest job requiring a lot of fixing from me. The third one is much better but not perfect either. 

On the LED strip lighting up the vaulted ceiling. We looked at that for ours but it just seemed to create a very flat look it also really showed up the poor plastering/painting. While we cabled for these strips I didn’t fit them. Instead I’ve bought two double spotlights to allow us to vary the lighting down into the living area alongside some other lighting we have. 

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

We looked at that for ours but it just seemed to create a very flat look

That's the look we were looking for  😄  We also didn't want spots or chandeliers - too busy.  We're happy with the flat look, I'm sure you're happy with the spots.

I'll have to try to take some photos when it's dark to show that there are plasterers around that know their business.

Simon

I’m a big fan of layering a lighting scheme with multiple sources of lights, mainly wall lights, floor lamps and table lamps. The table and floor lamps can be plugged into a 5A circuit so they can still be controlled from a wall switch, by wiring the fitting with one of these 

I pretty much hate downlights, and only use them in our build where it was an absolute must. I don’t mind a couple of pendants though.

LED strip lighting has its place. Good in a couple of shadow gaps, or for under the wall units in your kitchen to illuminate the counter or in wardrobes. I wouldn’t over do it though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I’m a big fan of layering a lighting scheme with multiple sources of lights, mainly wall lights, floor lamps and table lamps.

Agree - but you've missed out candles....  😄

The table and floor lamps can be plugged into a 5A circuit so they can still be controlled from a wall switch

That always seems to be a lot of expense when you can just walk across and use the inline switch on the floor or table lamp - or just have it always on and use a wifi switch.

LED strip lighting has its place.

Agree - we also have some under the banister on the stairs - very effective..

2012-01-01 00.00.00-32.jpg

Edited by Bramco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bramco said:

That's the look we were looking for  😄  We also didn't want spots or chandeliers - too busy.  We're happy with the flat look, I'm sure you're happy with the spots.

I'll have to try to take some photos when it's dark to show that there are plasterers around that know their business.

Simon

It wasn’t a criticism so apologies if you took it that way. We visited two houses that had done it that way as it was the look we (well I)wanted too. However we didn’t like it as it showed up the flaws in the walls too much and we wanted to layer the lights more. My other half also wanted a ‘spectacular’ pendant cascade light to take advantage of the 5.1m vaulted ceiling. You can read that as expensive 😂 It is nice thing right enough as long as I don’t break it putting it up! Vaulted rooms are hard to light! 

I’ve also wired for stair lights but yet to decide how to do it exactly. I like what you’ve done but our staircase and hand rail doesn’t lend itself to achieve that very easily. 

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

It wasn’t a criticism so apologies if you took it that way.

Certainly not taken as criticism.  Everyone to their own as they say.

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

hand rail doesn’t lend itself to achieve that very easily

We have some pet hates - one of them is hand rails and spindles - which freed us up to do the lighting - or rather allowed our architect (our son) to come up with the great solution in the photo.

1 hour ago, Bramco said:

We have some pet hates - one of them is hand rails and spindles - which freed us up to do the lighting - or rather allowed our architect (our son) to come up with the great solution in the photo.

Your son is very talented. This looks great and functions so well. The light is only where you need it; looks so nice and warm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2024 at 17:48, Kelvin said:

My other half also wanted a ‘spectacular’ pendant cascade light to take advantage of the 5.1m vaulted ceiling. You can read that as expensive 😂 It is nice thing right enough as long as I don’t break it putting it up! Vaulted rooms are hard to light! 

Have you got any pictures where you've got to with lighting the vaulted space please? We have a similar size, and am struggling for ideas somewhat!

21 minutes ago, BadgerBadger said:

Have you got any pictures where you've got to with lighting the vaulted space please? We have a similar size, and am struggling for ideas somewhat!

It’s literally just plastered today so not yet. However the main ceiling light will look similar to this but with 7 lights. From here: 

https://www.glowlighting.co.uk/pages/gallery

IMG_1177.thumb.jpeg.0ef473e8e8bfdc67dc275ded25032e03.jpeg

We will also have two double spot lights that are tucked in the corners plus some table lights and a large standard lamp.