Water main, actual workers (wedge of cash)

Big Jimbo

So taking on board what people have said in relation to my previous posts about water, incoming, use, heating etc. This morning i had a chat with my local water company. If i lay a new plastic 25mm pipe, the water company will re-new my existing connection (lead) from the mains for FREE.  If i want a larger connection to the mains, i have to pay. The lovely lady had a look and estimated about 6 grand. (gulp) The plan at present is to fit an unventilated cylinder to supply my showers .I wanted the ability to run all 4 showers potentially at the same time, but understand that this may not be possible. After all the cylinder can only put out at the same rate that water is being put in. Therefore, if i had 3 x 8 liter per min, and 1 x 12 liter per min shower, that would be a total requirement of 36 l per min, and that's without the cold water draw to each of those shower outlets. If i was to say, use a 300l hot tank, heated to say 55degrees, i think that would give me enough water for all showers at say 8mins. (288l of water if all drawn at 55,  which obviously it wouldn't be. Regardless, of how it is all plumbed, i doubt that a new 25mm mdlp pipe which is quoted as 1.6l/s......31.2l/min would be able to keep up, given the distance it needs to travel from the boundary. Has any body ever had any luck in getting the actual boys doing the connection in the road to increase the size of the connection to say 32mm for Tea, biscuits, and a wedge of cash ? I don't have a water meter, so it would just be a slightly bigger stop tap. The rates quoted for 32mm mdlp seem much better than 25mm. I know that regardless, i may need accumulators to be fitted, or a large storage tank and pump.

If they're connecting you for free, run a 32mm MDPE on your side, they'll convert down to 25mm at the meter, but it gives you the ability to upgrade later if you really want to.

Then stick a decent sized accumulator directly off your rising main, after a DCV. This is also what I'm currently doing, inc. the 32mm MDPE down to 25mm at the meter :)

• Thanks 1

We have a 25mm meter connected to 32mm pipe to the house. Seems to work very well. Haven't felt the need to upgrade to a bigger meter. Currently feeds two quite high flow rate showers.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

We knocked down and rebuilt an old house in a village, the house was supplied from the water main with a 25mm meter and we ran the pipe from the meter to the house in 32mm.

All our neighbours complain of low water pressure and low flow.

Our water pressure and flow is fine, easily enough for two showers to run at the same time.

We attribute our lack of problems to the 32mm supply pipe.

• Like 1

You just run a 32mm pipe and they will use a reducer just as the pipe enters your boundary, which connects to their 25mm outlet, simples. The drop would occur over distance, so upgrading to 32mm pipe will alleviate those losses and preserve what dynamic flow and pressure you have at the street. 
If you are defo going with an accumulator then you’ll be one of the best performance dwellings on the street. Chillax, and go worry about something else, like me now driving everywhere at 20mph ffs ;)  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Temp said:

We have a 25mm meter connected to 32mm pipe to the house. Seems to work very well.

I've done the same in the past & agree - it is a good solution.

On 18/09/2023 at 13:09, Big Jimbo said:

If i want a larger connection to the mains, i have to pay. The lovely lady had a look and estimated about 6 grand. (gulp)

And, at least with some water companies, a larger ongoing standing charge.

• Like 1