New Octopus Cosy 6kW HP...

sharpener

... will be available from December and is claimed will be installed for free (after BUS) if you do not need new rads or a cylinder upgrade. Presumably since it is made in NI it is a spinout of the RED acquisition.

Their own web site has not been updated yet but there is this and more or less identical coverage in many other publications.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

This caught my eye.        "The combination of a high-temperature heat pump as hot as a gas boiler, 

This caught my eye.

"radical new design ends the world of 'ugly heat pumps'".

Bet the ."as hot as a gas boiler" uses a resistance heating for the last 15°C when needed.

3 hours ago, sharpener said:

Presumably since it is made in NI it is a spinout of the RED acquisition.

"British designed, British manufactured [and] optimised for British homes".

Opps, that's not very inclusive wording if meant to include NI.

• Sad 1

"Installation of the clean heating system would be 'free' for households that do not need any additional work to fit the system in their homes after they have availed themselves of the Boiler Upgrade Scheme grant, Octopus Energy said.

However, homes that need adjustments, such as new radiators, piping, or hot water tanks, would need to pay around roughly £3,000 to complete the installation, it said."

I wonder if this tells us that they won't insist on throwing out perfectly good cylinders that have standard size coils?  I hope so, it would shake the industry up in a way that's now well overdue.

Edited by JamesPa

8 hours ago, Lee33 said:

Jesus Christ they look like the bins in McDonald’s car parks, so much for trying to convince people to switch to ASHP

I have to say, it is pretty awful looking - looks cheap and tacky. 

I don't think you need to go much away from a box. Changing the colour away from the default off white would be good, offering a colour choice also. 

Detailing the case so it doesn't look like a tin box with rivets etc. 

image.png.9ec5c99462b26042b36e613e8df55755.png

image.thumb.png.3f6e217d4df984072c99853a3c51a133.png

2 hours ago, JamesPa said:

I wonder if this tells us that they won't insist on throwing out perfectly good cylinders that have standard size coils?  I hope so, it would shake the industry up in a way that's now well overdue.

Not so much of a problem with a 6kW unit (bigger sizes are said to be in the works).

Just now, sharpener said:

Not so much of a problem with a 6kW unit (bigger sizes are said to be in the works).

No, but it would still be good if they did it, just to start challenging the mindset.  They have the advantage that they are in control of the end to end process so can more readily appreciate the opportunities.

45 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Knowing just how smart a guy Jason is, I'm sure he's got a very good reason for the shape beyond aesthetics.  I'd venture acoustics, as sound won't be reflecting straight off the wall and exhaust air is projected up and away

I imagine so. Noise reduction was a claimed advantage of the top exit on the original RED HP.

But it's probably goodbye to the patented RED hw tank. I was curious as to why Jason Cassells was simultaneously a director of Harlequin Plastics but this would explain it.

Lots of other interesting profiles of their people on the Ocotpus web site too. So it's a bit strange I can't find any mention or pics of the new HP! Even more strange that the entire RED web site is still up more than a year after the Octopus takeover.

Edited by sharpener

Great to see Octopus driving innovation and progress in this area.

In my humble opinion, the design is gopping. Looks like a jukebox for Barney the dinosaur. I certainly wouldn't have one anywhere near my property. Others have mentioned it's likely an adaptation of a RED unit which I thought looked great in person, so maybe they can fine tune the aesthetics to something less Fisher-Price.

The key question will be: how is the tech differentiated / improved over products already in the market?

My bet is that hardware will be pretty  similar to existing units, but the innovation will come on controls / software side. Perhaps a tarrif with specific (lower) rate for ASHP consumption that requires no user intervention / running at set times etc. Or a home energy management system that optimises PV / battery / ASHP generation and consumption, again with minimal user input. Install, set and forget for the end user.

8 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Knowing just how smart a guy Jason is, I'm sure he's got a very good reason for the shape beyond aesthetics.  I'd venture acoustics, as sound won't be reflecting straight off the wall and exhaust air is projected up and away

Possibly, the angled top fan is a reasonable idea and maybe the entire back and both sides are intakes for max coil area. 

But the design is very "fisher price" as someone put it. 

It looks like a late 90's computer design to be honest, think iMac or a SGI workstation. 

image.png.fc1d6f187616320b33cff832513d5e34.png

image.png.2870b4ef728576314c5adc8b6ff8a60e.png

It just seems odd. 

Straighten the sides, make the edges crisper, lose the typical fan mesh for setting else and, for the love of God, make it black.