bathroom extractor fan keeps running

Rob W

Hello, when i pull the light cord the extractor fan with adjustable timer runs continuously. To stop the fan i have to pull the isolator cord. Please could anyone suggest if it's the light switch or isolator switch likely to be wired wrong ?

The attached picture is of the isolator wiring. Thankyou, Robert.

isolater switch.jpg

FAR more details needed.

Most important, has it EVER worked properly?

If it did work properly and has stopped working properly, then WHAT has been done recently?

That isolator switch is the normal 3 pole, but only 2 are used, so even if the fan is a timer fan, it cannot be wired and working as a timer fan.

would need pictures of the inside of the fan, and the inside of the light switch.

Hi JohnMo, it is a Manrose gold, so no humidity sensor.

Hi ProDave, sorry don't know how long it hadn't worked for sure as the tenant reported it not working so i put in same brand (can't be sure if old extractor was a gold type), 

Whether timer or no timer why does it keep running please ?

2 pics, extractor wiring pic & light socket pic.

Thanks for your advice.

light socket.jpg

fan wiring.jpg

1 hour ago, Ghost of Dryden said:

You have a link there between your permanent live and switched live, so it will run constantly. Take out that red link and it will operate on timer

Regardless of the link, it looks like both red and yellow are fed from the same brown. 

My guess, is that the new (brown and blue) cable in the fan Isolator comes from the light, and is fed with a permanent supply. 

To fix this he'll need a 3 core cable from the fan Isolator with both permanent live and switched. 

Unless of course the fan has a humidistat.. But I would still want a switched live taken to it to remove any smells, not just damp

6 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Regardless of the link, it looks like both red and yellow are fed from the same brown. 

My guess, is that the new (brown and blue) cable in the fan Isolator comes from the light, and is fed with a permanent supply. 

To fix this he'll need a 3 core cable from the fan Isolator with both permanent live and switched. 

Unless of course the fan has a humidistat.. But I would still want a switched live taken to it to remove any smells, not just damp

What I am trying to figure out is how has it ever worked?  It certainly has not been working as a timer fan.  If that brown into the isolator is permanent L then of course the fan will be on all the time.  If it is switched L then it would work as a non timer fan going on and off with the light.

This is not something that just changes, without someone doing something.  Has your T been poking around with the wiring without telling you.

The proper solution is get a 3 core into the isolator with neutral, switched L and permanent L and take out the link in the fan and it will work properly as a timer fan.  But something somewhere needs changing.

Following instructions generally advise that the fan should be protected by a 3 a fuse, so assuming it’s fed from a lighting circuit, it will need a fused switches spur to fuse down to 3 amp.

3 core fan isolators are also common.

i hate when they are fitted above the bathroom door..

There is a mix of old colours and new colours so that needs addressing too.