Touring Caravan for site office?

We’ve just got PP to convert some barns. We won’t live on site but want to put a touring caravan there for daytime use.
PP states no static caravan allowed, but if we put a tourer there and just used it for making hot drinks and using the loo is that allowed? 
has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons? 

That's exactly what we did. Hid it best we could from 5h3 road so wouldn't get complaints. Loved it. During the build I was working a flexible 3 day week and it worked out great for a small office space. Being able to cook and heat food was a great money saver.

• Thanks 1

There’s an area of hard standing we can put it on which is away from the road and has trees around so would be well hidden. It’s very remote so we would need to be able to make food, drinks and use the loo! 

3 hours ago, Andi said:

There’s an area of hard standing we can put it on which is away from the road and has trees around so would be well hidden. It’s very remote so we would need to be able to make food, drinks and use the loo! 

Get a hose adapter for the water supply and two big propane tanks and most importantly a reminder in your calendar to empty the toilet cassette! I tried to use the site portaloo as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Conor said:

Get a hose adapter for the water supply and two big propane tanks and most importantly a reminder in your calendar to empty the toilet cassette! I tried to use the site portaloo as much as possible.

We have a spring on site so have water, we can empty the waste water at the house we will be renting. We will have a portaloo but that will be for the builders only! 😂

26 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

So this is your everyday family car then.  No reason why you cant drive to visit your site.

We’re thinking of a caravan rather than a motor home, but that is an option we’re considering 

We heard directly from the horses mouth when the council visited our site that our Fifth Wheel Caravan was ok but a static caravan would not have been. I think there is precedence for people claiming a static as a separate domestic property and going for a demolish and rebuild planning application after a set number or years.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andi said:

We’ve just got PP to convert some barns. We won’t live on site but want to put a touring caravan there for daytime use.
PP states no static caravan allowed, but if we put a tourer there and just used it for making hot drinks and using the loo is that allowed? 
has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons? 

id put a non material amendment in to add permission for static van during works. if the morons refuse appeal it with costs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Keep the number plates on it, and the tyres pumped up, and there really can't be much of an argument that it is a touring van.

What are you going to do about security? gas bottles are easily moved.

It’s quite a remote site and we plan to put up some security cameras (we will have a lot of materials on site). Not sure about the gas bottles - thanks for pointing that out, we will have to think about them

5 hours ago, patp said:

We heard directly from the horses mouth when the council visited our site that our Fifth Wheel Caravan was ok but a static caravan would not have been. I think there is precedence for people claiming a static as a separate domestic property and going for a demolish and rebuild planning application after a set number or years.

We’d love a fifth wheeler!!! Not sure we have the space or the £££ for one though 

5 hours ago, patp said:

That is why Highland council grant temporary planning for a static caravan only, with the stipulation the static caravan must be removed before occupation of the new house.

I bent that as far as I could and got mine amended to "habitational use of the caravan shall cease upon occupation of the house"  so mine remains as a work room and store room.

• Thanks 1

Overthinking. If it has wheels it isn't static. Also it is easily sold on at end of use. Plus if it happens to be in the way, it's easy to shift.

They are very poorly insulated so allow lots of heating or jumpers.

Ours was for living in.   Brrrrr. But now will be sold to the next intrepid highland self builder.