Actively looking for quotes, bricklaying Hertfordshire

I believe this forum is more reliable than the usual check a trade type sites, so i am hoping to engage a bricklaying wizard, and or, get a recommendation if you know of anyone you trust.

The project is at post code SG27EF in North Hertfordshire and i hope to be requiring this work at the end of the year, ish.  Do brickies work during the coldest part of the winter? Obviously frost could be the issue. Anyway, details are 200 square metres 4 bed storey and a half cottage style house. Cedral cladding to the gable ends and dormers so no bricks at these locations.

Large chimney and an internal Inglenook. I am looking for a little herringbone panel work to the front. Can supply pictures of the elevations as required. From a previous conversation i think its about 9000 bricks total.

Is this even the correct way to go about this? Apologies in advance if its not.

Thanks

keith

5 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

Do brickies work during the coldest part of the winter?

No we are all lazing around in the Caribbean then waiting for it to warm up 🙂

Get your m2 areas of your brickwork and blockwork quantified. Measure extras like lintels , feature work, insulation etc. Draw up a list of any special requirements you have then start contacting some bricklayers for quotes.

I know a good team of brickies, but they are going to want more than "I want a bit of this, and a bit of that" Full set of plans showing all elevations. Inner and outer wall construction. Details of cavity, and cavity insulation. Lots of details required before you can just get a pi$$ing in the wind quote. 

I know what a lintel is, i dont know what parameters of one i need to care about to answer your question. Yet.

I have elevations and floor plans, dont have the BC full 'buildable from' plans yet.

Yes this would be up from DPC. There is a groundworks contract to get that far. Then phase 2 is TF erect. Phase 3 is weathertight. External cladding then follows, hence me starting to need figures for said cladding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2023 at 07:33, Dave Jones said:

pay £200 and get your plans QS'd. https://www.estimators.com/

Anyone having to quote will know exactly how may bricks, blocks, trays, weepers etc they will be having to lay . You will also have a ballpark price to know if your being bent over.

I was just looking at the estimator service.  Keen to understand how they go about deriving the labour costs and material costs.   Are they accurate?

9 hours ago, flanagaj said:

I was just looking at the estimator service.  Keen to understand how they go about deriving the labour costs and material costs.   Are they accurate?

as accurate as your plans. Provide the structural engineer drawings and they will price steelwork as well. They use rates for your area but you can override day rates to suit.

They will not cost as they cant, your costs to get out of the ground so groundworks costs.

• Like 1