MDF painting error

Dee

Hi

I've painted MDF kitchen cabinet doors that I've made but didn't realise they should be sealed prior!

Ive painted using Farrow and ball eggshell and a basic undercoat. 12hrs later its still tacky.

Can I seal retrospectively?

Any advice??

Edited by Dee
Additional info

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Farrow and ball eggshell and a basic undercoat

Are the two compatible?

I painted a door with a water based gloss, there are patches where it has reacted and stayed soft where the previous gloss/undercoat was not fully removed back to the timber.

Even 'same base' undercoat and glosses and react.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Can I seal retrospectively?

No. The sealer is specifically a bonding barrier between the mdf and the finish paint. Pointless adding it now.

Either remove your paint and start again with sealer, or see if it happens to be OK by luck.  But it's likely to change appearance or flake off in time.

• Sad 1

I suspect it might just be taking a long time to dry. High humidity? Was it stirred properly? I'd give it 24-48 hours before deciding its not drying.

Perhaps paint up some scrap wood with a primer (Zinsser products are good)  and then the F&B. See how that turns out. If you have issues with the F&B I've had success with Rust-oleum over Zinsser on mdf. You can get small samples on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BJ2Q1V6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NW4ZG4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

I have a friend who is a Colourist. (fancy name for a painter if you ask me) Works all over the world for the obscenely rich and famous. He won't use F and B paint for anything. I've just tried to ring him to ask him about yours, but  just got a funny foreign ring tone, followed by being cut off.

I would defo give it at least a good few days to see if it dries, and hardens off.

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I have a friend who is a Colourist. (fancy name for a painter if you ask me) Works all over the world for the obscenely rich and famous. He won't use F and B paint for anything. I've just tried to ring him to ask him about yours, but  just got a funny foreign ring tone, followed by being cut off.

I would defo give it at least a good few days to see if it dries, and hardens off.

I totally agree with your colourist, F&B can be a nightmare on wood, esp MDF. There are much better paints IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the end I put the doors in the sun which helped to dry out more. Tge next day they were pretty dry, sanded down with 120 grit and just applied a second top coat. Will now wait 24hours before final coat....absolute pain and an email on its way to FB with feedback!!

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 09:04, Dee said:

Fair enough! Must admit I'm a huge fan of FB on wall/ emulsion, used it fo years but I won't be using eggshell again....its awful!

We use their colour charts and then get it colour matched into crown paint, my work painter won’t use farrow and ball but all the designers like to use it, no one is any the wiser.

Dont over think......

Accept that as a DIYer with basic tools it'll not be perfect.

Measure, measure and measure again.

Be patient!

Don't use Farrow an Ball Eggshell paint!!

Seal the MDF....I forgot to.

Don't use 6mm stripwood, too unstable, it warps and cups.

Use 9mm mdf for the panel and 6mm for the rails ect to make 22mm'ish thick doors.

Ideally have the rails ect machined if you don't have the capacity.

Get an accurate level!

• Like 2