Smart Smoke Alarm/Heat Detector

richo106

Hi all

I am just planning my cable routes and came onto smoke/heat detectors

I require a heat detector in the kitchen, smoke detector in the hallway and one on the landing.

In our previous house we had nest smoke alarms which we really like as we like the comfort of having notifications (hopefully none). I thought they might do a heat detector too but no such look!

Could anyone recommend a smart smoke alarm and heat detector system that can be linked to our phones to send notifications etc?

any recommendations greatly appreciated 

You don't want smart, you want proven and reliable.

For me it's Aico hard wired.  2 core & earth mains supply to the first one, then 3 core % earth from there looping to all the others.  Aico do some neat combined heat and CO an combined smoke and CO alarms for rooms that need both. 

• Like 3

+1

The various smarthome speakers will soon be able to listen for an alarm going off and send you a notification when it hears one. Apple's HomePod can already do this and I am guessing it will become a standard feature for other providers too. Link for Apple below.

Buy reliable detectors. And let your choice of Apple, Google or Amazon send you the notifications.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/homepod/apd1f1921722/homepod

• Like 1

Not sure where you live, but in Scotland you are not allowed smoke detectors in a kitchen they have to be heat, so that precludes most smart detectors as the are heat and smoke. The guidance actually states Google for example are not allowed because they are combined.

Also you have to chuck nearly all smart detectors out after 10 years, because they are programmed to stop working due to the aging if the detection bits. And non replaceable batteries.

I'd echo the recommendations to stick to 'dumb' detectors, from well-known and established brands etc. Not only are they cheaper than 'smart' offerings but I have much greater confidence in their performance, longevity and availability of sensor options.

However, notifications and alerts as you say are a great feature for peace of mind so I achieve that with a relay base (e.g. this one for Aico setups) which in turn triggers a Shelly smart relay to send me an alert (via a web-to-SMS gateway as it happens but it's own app can also do it) should any of the sensors trigger.

Edited by MJNewton

23 hours ago, richo106 said:

Could anyone recommend a smart smoke alarm and heat detector system that can be linked to our phones to send notifications etc?

I've bought, but not yet installed, Cavius smoke & heat alarms (separate products).

An optional hub can interface with their wireless range (including some of their other devices) and send alerts via their own app, by email, or via Google Assistant. Looks like there are further integrations to come - the Google Play store says that the latest version of the app includes "Integration preparations for opening to Third party APIs". Not that I'm planning to get the hub for now.

• 2 months later...