Ride On Mower Repair

Onoff

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

A had a quick look at County Battery, but that one is only 26Ah, The one OnOff linked to was 45Ah and at that rating County could not come close the the price he linked to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A had a quick look at County Battery, but that one is only 26Ah, The one OnOff linked to was 45Ah and at that rating County could not come close the the price he linked to.

Yep but the 138 that's on it is only about 19Ah - the size is number of minutes at 25 amps so 45 mins at 25 amps is about 19Ah....

• Like 1

Tonight's foray into lawnmower refurb. I've got a stack of M10 bolts about 300mm long but the shanks only 9mm. Turned the end down to 8mm and stuck an M8 die down it. A bit thicker but no issue for what it does (pto tensioner):

SAM_5813.thumb.JPG.3728d98364c8352be17db838a73678de.JPG

There's a French supplier of small kits for a wide range of tiny excavators, can't remember the manufacturer, but one is called La Sauterelle, I think.  There are some YoTube video around, like this one:

but if you can find the site they have a range of kits and just parts available to build them.

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Seriously now...

I'm after some plans to make a small backhoe to go on a lawn tractor like this. Thinking use the pto to drive a hydraulic pump etc. Any ideas?

Unlikely  to get the RPM/pressure needed out of that size engine through a direct drive hydraulic pump. 

I have a Stiga mower with the hydro drive and tbh it's not amazing if you put a lot of load through it. You need the grunt in the pump to get anything like a decent flow and pressure for digging so 25-30hp is probably the minimum unless you want to dig a foot an hour ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 20:11, PeterW said:

Cheers. I've got their 896 battery coming only as the terminals are the other way around. I enquired with a picture of the existing battery and Rohan replied. He's pretty "keen" tbh, got a follow up / chase email too off of him, can they do anything else etc. 

All turning over but not firing so I've left a cut out switch off / mechanically disconnected somewhere! Might have been when I was removing the rat's nest!

Edited by Onoff

7 hours ago, Temp said:

Do they use Hermes for shipping? Had email from them saying there was an issue at their sorting office. My parcel took a few days to appear on their tracking system.

I don't know but I'll be wanting my £7 back or whatever it was!

The PTO clutch has failed on my Toro ride on. The official spare part seems to be around £350 so I went for a third party replacement from the USA via ebay for just under £150. Still hurts though. Need some good weather now to work up the enthusiasm to crawl under it and get oily.

16 minutes ago, Temp said:

The PTO clutch has failed on my Toro ride on. The official spare part seems to be around £350 so I went for a third party replacement from the USA via ebay for just under £150. Still hurts though. Need some good weather now to work up the enthusiasm to crawl under it and get oily.

Did you try here?

http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/types/xtreme-pto-clutchs/pto-clutch-for-toro-104-3624-pto0009/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Yr9-Oid1gIVSbXtCh0IdgjNEAQYASABEgLa-_D_BwE

I guess they might fit but they don't list the part number for my model. The only place I found claiming to have the right one was Shoulders of Shoreham. They sell Hayter parts, some of which have same part numbers because Hayter are owned by Toro. There is also a Toro agent in Germany that I've used before because their prices are usually a bit cheaper.  Anyway I've got the thing now, just need to fit it.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is it the Toro Hydro drive ..? Same unit as in a Stiga, and I buy the oil filters for the unit from the US as even with shipping they are half the U.K. price. 

Mine has a hydro drive transmission but it's the blade PTO clutch on the bottom of the engine that failed.

Is there an oil filter in the hydro unit? I'll have to investigate as I've never changed one in mine if there is. Mind you mine leaks so it's getting new oil regularly.