Extending front of property. Planning permission unlikely?

flanagaj

Can anyone provide any guidance as to the likelihood of being able to get planning permission for a two story extension of the property below.   Basically, we are looking to infill the left hand corner to create a utility room and upstairs ensuite.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d1264a9a0a58caa1605d7f9f3d19c6b.jpeg

The property is not in a conservation area, and the aerial view is as below.  The plan would be to hopefully extend with a contemporary vertical clad based approach.

image.png.de69487c05297c3cf55cbdae4ac39b47.png

Any pointers welcomed.

>>> or just put in some simple plans for pre-app discussion. 

Of course, if these look graphically attractive, that helps - everyone's human after all.

Maybe a discussion/pre-app about the principle with the LPA with a simple plan (i.e. from above) plus 3D elevation made as an outline only shown with a white line. You can probably draw on top of Google street view images. (Not just a squiggle as above, a reasonable accurate outline.) Listen carefully, if they'll talk to you (some LPAs won't). Then if they don't hate the idea, submit a good quality render / plans taking care to observe any guidelines they give. Probably as a full application.

With all the properties on your road being of the same design and style, I think you’d struggle. If you were to pursue a design, get your designer to look at a crown flat top. That will still retain the barn hip ends. Also make sure the new front wall is not flush with the existing and therefore set back slightly. The front elevation wouldn’t therefore change very much.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I think it would look horrible, especially with a flat roof.

I think a single storey with pitch roof sloping from the back down to the front might just look ok but would block part of the window to your stairs.

Edited by Temp

Im thinking you might get PP for something like this but not sure if the dimensions work..

Perhaps a double width window instead of the single Ive shown?

image.png.af1d6de88bb4f79be0f375c59ffdfeb3.png

Edited by Temp

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

Im thinking you might get PP for something like this but not sure if the dimensions work..

Perhaps a double width window instead of the single Ive shown?

image.png.af1d6de88bb4f79be0f375c59ffdfeb3.png

It was mainly upstairs that I wanted the extension for.

15 hours ago, joe90 said:

You won’t know till you ask/apply, see if any other house in the area has done similar.

Go for it. Do up a sketch and send it in. Get @Temp to do a two-storey version. His/her/their photomontage looks great.

12 hours ago, flanagaj said:

It was mainly upstairs that I wanted the extension for.

Yeah I realise that but I think a flat roof extension at the front would look horrible. 

And the ceiling height upstairs too low? Would have to be below existing eaves? 

Edited by Temp

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Yeah I realise that but I think a flat roof extension at the front would look horrible. 

And the ceiling height upstairs too low? Would have to be below existing eaves? 

And that is the issue.  So not sure how it would work.

22 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

And that is the issue.  So not sure how it would work.

I would measure from existing floor level upstairs to the underside of your soffit.  Then subtract 388 to 400mm for the following..

150mm - upstand for flashing the flat roof to the wall.

25mm - Waterproof layer and 18mm OSB.

50mm - Ventilated air gap

150mm - PIR Insulation between rafters.

1mm - Vapour barrier

12mm - Plasterboard.

Total 388mm

See what that gives you.

If its less than about 2.25m you might need to look at trading off headroom downstairs by lowering the first floor so there would be a step down from the bedroom into the ensuite.

• Like 1