Around a tree

We have this tree which we call our bonsai bush (I know it isn't, but I've no idea what it is). Whilst it does look like it's been plonked in the middle of the garden we are reluctant to move it a) it's likely to die and b) it does add some character and c) the chickens shelter under it when it's raining!

20230713_153058.thumb.JPG.4ef9d23cad8bb797e3741a8b87b120c7.JPG

20230713_153109.thumb.JPG.52ce97ea10ba3059040e14976a76b9cd.JPG

20230713_153041.thumb.JPG.7870cf353a89f30e7e7d1d8273486416.JPG

Unfortunately the sort of edging that has been plonked around it (we didn't do it) make it look particularly naff. It's been built up quite a bit which isn't really necessary as the roots are far lower so we can get rid of some of the soil and membrane and plum slate on top.

We have cleaned up quite a lot of engineering bricks and I'm thinking now would be a good idea to try my hand at bricklaying!

What do you think? Could a circular brick wall around this work? And can it be single brick? Tips for a complete novice on how to tackle this.

Or just leave well alone 😬

Edited by canalsiderenovation

46 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I've no idea what it is

It could be a Weeping Hemlock.

47 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Unfortunately the sort of edging that has been plonked around it (we didn't do it) make it look particularly naff.

They look like council kerbs. Not the prettiest edging and they weigh a lot.

48 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Could a circular brick wall around this work?

I would go for it, just ram down 200mm small rubble or type1 for a base and brick on top. Lay it all out dry first to see what it looks like. Good luck.

• Like 1

As you are next to the canal, i think you should have a 1/3rd size canal boat built around it. A 3ft moat all around the outside of the boat, with a plank for the chickens to access the shelter of the tree. Then you could have a couple of ducks in the moat to keep the chickens company. If you think i am being silly, it's because. I like your house. I would like chickens, (and ducks), and i've had loads of canal boat holidays, and love the canals. So basically, i'm jealous. What about a pirate ship, half sunken. Designed in such a way as to be a nightime house for the chickens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

What about a pirate ship

We have the copyright in that.

I am sure, with a bit of thought, something interesting, and easy, could be made around it.

The problem with brick is, in my opinion, it looks naff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

As you are next to the canal, i think you should have a 1/3rd size canal boat built around it. A 3ft moat all around the outside of the boat, with a plank for the chickens to access the shelter of the tree. Then you could have a couple of ducks in the moat to keep the chickens company. If you think i am being silly, it's because. I like your house. I would like chickens, (and ducks), and i've had loads of canal boat holidays, and love the canals. So basically, i'm jealous. What about a pirate ship, half sunken. Designed in such a way as to be a nightime house for the chickens.

😂 We did have a proper narrowboat but sold it to fund the landscaping and to get things finally sorted - the hens and ducks used to jump on the boat too but after one hen had a brief dip into the canal they steered clear of the water! The Llangollen canal is of course the nicest canal on the network 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Naffer than its current appearance?

Usually yes.

I grew up in Essex. All borders seem to be brick. The horrible light brick they use there.

We have Cornish Hedges down here, and I have spent the last 5 days walking past them. They can look quite good if the right stuff is planted into them. Maybe a minute one of them.

I do very much like @Big Jimbo's idea of a moat. The chickens would like that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The problem with brick is, in my opinion, it looks naff.

I disagree (I built my passive house entirely out of rustic brick). As an edging to my gravel areas I used bricks laid at 45’ leaning on each other, far better than council kerbs.

• Like 1