Help with window

Sophiae

I am sure a lot of you know me by now 🙂 so I am posting it here separately so that others may be able to contribute with their wisdom.

This is a single story detached bungalow. Planning has been approved for this side window (ground floor) which the neighbours are not happy with (understandably) and have already erected a fence opposite so to stop me from opening it. Planning office has my full plans and BCO doesn’t mind it being a boundary wall ( I only found out the legalities of things ). My neighbours won’t grant me access to my wall. 

I now need help to figure out if

1. It is possible to use a T&T inward opening obscured glass window?
2. What alternatives do I have to have the room compliant for fire escape? 
3. Can I move the room door so that it is facing the open space, thus opposite the exit? 

4. If all fails and I use it as a play room/ office, what’s the best ventilation to use when my neighbours refuse to open the gate and allow me to access my wall? 
5. Any bright ideas that won’t cost a fortune as I have already lost about £20K or more waiting to find solutions to get on with the work. 

Any and all comments are truly appreciated as I am unable to sleep for the last few nights trying to find a solution so it may be used for emergency overnight stay for my son’s carers. 

IMG_3227.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Unless I am mistaken, it’s fine as it is. The bedroom door opens on to the hall. Even though not directly it’s still part of the hall and acceptable fire route.

So it doesn’t need a window? 

2 hours ago, Bonner said:

Unless I am mistaken, it’s fine as it is. The bedroom door opens on to the hall. Even though not directly it’s still part of the hall and acceptable fire route.

Not correct. The bedroom is an inner room and will need an alternative means of escape - ie an emergency egress window.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

You still need a window for rapid ventilation. Swap it for an inward opening tilt and turn.

Correct. However if the window is within 1.0m of the boundary it won't be permitted.

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

Sure building control.

don’t think the OP has ever mentioned a building warrant in any of the threads

I do have one. I’ve had a few visits so far and the BCO is the one guiding me to be compliant. Hence why I am asking here because he is ok with the window in question. 
it’s not that I don’t trust him but a few people including @ETC said it won’t be allowed even though BCO has approved it. 

Forgive me if I sound confused. 

1 hour ago, Sophiae said:

Hmmm. U see this is where the dilemma is. The website said within 1 meter. Doesn’t this apply? 

Between 0m - 1m you can only have 1.0m2 of unprotected area - ie doors or windows. If this satisfies the ventilation requirements (1/20th of the floor area) - grand. It will satisfy EEW requirement which requires a 750mmx450mm (0.33m2) but you may come across resistance from your neighbour. The window you have shown is too big.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ETC said:

Between 0m - 1m you can only have 1.0m2 of unprotected area - ie doors or windows. If this satisfies the ventilation requirements (1/20th of the floor area) - grand. It will satisfy EEW requirement which requires a 750mmx450mm (0.33m2) but you may come across resistance from your neighbour. The window you have shown is too big.

I can work the size up to 1m2 and my neighbours won’t be happy regardless. I am in the process of drafting a kind letter so that we are all clear. 
I am so grateful to you and everyone here who contributed with an answer. 

Aside/OT..

I would change the layout of the doors to the master bedroom and ensuite to eliminate that little corridor as it's a waste of space? Think there are several options but perhaps..

image.png.0acfaa9a9e52bffa9caaf729295c2f9e.png

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1