ASHP Base

Hi,

I had a Daikin heat pump installed three weeks ago by Octopus.

Daikin say that flexible hoses are only required if wall mounted but MCS require flexible hoses to be fitted in all circumstances.

My heat pump is floor mounted on rubber feet with anti frost valves, it has flexible hoses as required by MCS.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, matt-drummer said:

Hi,

I had a Daikin heat pump installed three weeks ago by Octopus.

Daikin say that flexible hoses are only required if wall mounted but MCS require flexible hoses to be fitted in all circumstances.

My heat pump is floor mounted on rubber feet with anti frost valves, it has flexible hoses as required by MCS.

I would always use flexi hoses. 

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would always use flexi hoses. 

For £60, why would you not install for long term piece of mind.

I stayed with glycol also, not doubting antifreeze valves, but would rather not have the issue of recharging pressure if they do work. Or more importantly me away and the wife having to recharge - nightmare!

Edited by JohnMo
Missed word
  • Like 1

I like the principle of using flexis when there is potential movement or vibration going on. 

Presumably they have an unconstricted cross section when properly fitted (not twisted).

My only concern is that they lend themselves to unskilled fitting.

18 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Well at least not yet:ph34r:

Tut! 🙄

There are folk who do this on their one-off new build and have just one instance to record / recount, and folk who do this for a living. I do this for a living, and the results always speak for themselves ;) The feedback is from clients who are living with and using the systems, and there is NO better critic than a client, I assure you.

If you clip strategically to give some wiggle-room, and decouple the copperwork from the fabric of the build with insulation where it enters, then you'll enjoy silent, issue-free operation. FACT.

If you've bought a unit which chugs and shudders. then you chose poorly, sorry, and will defo need the flexi's. They're a product to resolve an issue you created, so once again I impress upon the good people here......"Choose wisely and design problems out, as prevention is cheaper and better than cure(s)". 

The Stiebel unit is remarkably good, you could make a tower out of playing cards and sit that atop, fire it up, and they'd still be there intact. The Panasonic units aren't far behind in fairness, considering how gob-smackingly good value for money they are!! Both are incredibly 'silent' too.

@Thorfun, how's 'life without flexis' to date?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Thorfun, how's 'life without flexis' to date?

no issues so far. but the ASHP has barely been used since installation. hopefully if we manage to move in this winter we'll actually use it and can report back!

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

There are folk who do this on their one-off new build and have just one instance to record / recount, and folk who do this for a living. I do this for a living, and the results always speak for themselves.

Don't disagree but just because there have been no failures yet it can not mean there won't be - they were very happy with the Comet for a bit IIRC. Also introducing flexies may bring the Mean Time Before / Between Failure (MTBF) down because you are increasing complexity. More parts that can fail. So either way it is swings and roundabouts but the point I made remains a truth because the past tells us nothing 100% reliably about the future - other, of course, than death and taxes. (Although I guess it is possible to avoid taxes - so just death then.)

• Like 1