5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

thats is a tad expensive. Jockland prices I guess.

Distance, 100 miles of single carriage way in the Highlands., and a bit of we don't want to do it I think. 

15 hours ago, dpmiller said:

surely tho you'd need two pumps else the risk is the same?

Exactly that. You really three plans I guess with plan C being people and wheelbarrows. 

But great effort. Well done on a very neat and tidy job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If concrete has taught me anything, it’s that you hire the pump from the company supplying the readymix as a single price job… If the pump goes bad, it’s all on their heads…

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HughF said:

If concrete has taught me anything, it’s that you hire the pump from the company supplying the readymix as a single price job… If the pump goes bad, it’s all on their heads…

In an ideal world, that is ;) 

On 01/07/2023 at 22:58, Jenki said:

Distance, 100 miles of single carriage way in the Highlands., and a bit of we don't want to do it I think. 

Still wouldn't have mattered, other than the shift of onus. One pour started, then their pump failed, then they brought the reserve pump, and that failed. So the concrete got bucketed in by excavator. IIRC they finished around 01:00.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HughF said:

as @Nickfromwales said.  up here the concrete would not be coming from Inverness 2 hrs away, but that's the only pumps.  My budget didn't allow for that kind of expense. so did what I had to do...  and survived 😂

Would I have taken that risk for a customer doubtful.

The difference is stark really  £2K of concrete with free digger hire, and a few IOU some labour hours or £4K with a pump with similar risk exposure.  as @saveasteading mentioned, if it all went really sideways I would have had a section of concrete drive instead,

Edited by Jenki
typo

Yeah, fair points…. Down here we’re spoilt for readymix concrete and pump hire. Not so much for volumetric in Somerset, annoyingly.

Down in Bournemouth we have three different volumetric companies to choose from.

2 hours ago, HughF said:

Not so much for volumetric in Somerset, annoyingly.

I do wonder why there isn't more around. Zero waste, nice and slow, mix can be changed immediately.

I used it even on parts of huge jobs, if there were small shutters to fill or bolts to hang as there is no pressure re delay costs or minimum orders.

My only concern might be quality control when it is crucial....but none of my buildings have flown away yet.

Perhaps it looks more expensive /m3 to new customers who don't know about the extras with big loads.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

I do wonder why there isn't more around. Zero waste, nice and slow, mix can be changed immediately.

I used it even on parts of huge jobs, if there were small shutters to fill or bolts to hang as there is no pressure re delay costs or minimum orders.

My only concern might be quality control when it is crucial....but none of my buildings have flown away yet.

Perhaps it looks more expensive /m3 to new customers who don't know about the extras with big loads.

ok for small quantity, for footings you want all the cube as fast as possible to the correct mix. 

55 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

ok for small quantity, for footings you want all the cube as fast as possible to the correct mix. 

We always use volumetric for everything in Dorset, footings, the lot.... Never see a readymix truck around the place.

Volumetric is just as fast if you've got enough lads on hand to barrow

1 hour ago, HughF said:

We always use volumetric for everything in Dorset, footings, the lot.... Never see a readymix truck around the place.

Volumetric is just as fast if you've got enough lads on hand to barrow

its only as fast as it can goto its yard, refill and come back. But if you cant get readymix then no option really.

5 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

its only as fast as it can goto its yard, refill and come back. But if you cant get readymix then no option really.

They usually carry a bit more than the readymix trucks down here, 12m3 iirc