Bco dog

Pocster

So bco came out today after 6 yrs ( as I was advised then to call them once finished )

I recorded the conversation.

oh dear here we go …

Bathroom door should open outwards not into the bathroom . It’s in the plans I was told . It isn’t 

Structural steels need fire proofing . It’s in the plans . It isn’t 

Failing that suspended tile ceilings need 30 minute fire resistance. Spoke to supplier on this and they can’t give that . Apparently 30 mins is achieved via the frame AND tiles - and in their test conditions . I assume a copy of their fire rating test will be sufficient for bco to go away 

Wall water membrane system . Want to see design for this . There isn’t one of course as it’s diy .

Timber frame spec !! ( even though it was up 6 yrs ago )

What annoys me is apparently these things were noted on my file 6 yrs ago but bco never told me until now .

Some other “ I must find things “ aswell …

I suspect it’s a box ticking exercise , but annoys me .

At the end I asked him if it should be demolished. My sarcasm was lost on him ….

51 minutes ago, patp said:

Nothing specific just the thought of the bco visiting at all :( Long time since my work was assessed!

Be cool my friend.

He's now asking for beam and block 'spec' - little bit late.

I'll just forward him the Cemex quote and 'spec'; I'm hoping all this is BS!.

When did he last come out?

Checking back 10 years into my emails , there it is . Soil sample report sent to building control .

Ive been here before with planning where they are adamant I haven’t done something , when I have .

I’ve sent bco some stuff already . I’ll see their response . If they want to get shitty I’ll start bringing up all the things I’ve done and can prove . Usually I mention I might make a formal complaint - this tends to accelerate the “ tick box “ process …

It’s all incompetence and BS 

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

Are you dealing with a structural warranty provider at all? If you are just wait and see what happens then. I've got structural sign off in an email from bco and the warranty company are telling me that 'all received [outstanding documents] and all ok' is not clear enough that bco is happy with it and so their underwriter wants more info. ffs!

My rule is always follow up any conversation with an email and never ever delete any email at all! Take (expletive deleted) load of pictures of everything too and make sure you receive confirmation emails.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Are you dealing with a structural warranty provider at all? If you are just wait and see what happens then. I've got structural sign off in an email from bco and the warranty company are telling me that 'all received [outstanding documents] and all ok' is not clear enough that bco is happy with it and so their underwriter wants more info. ffs!

My rule is always follow up any conversation with an email and never ever delete any email at all! Take (expletive deleted) load of pictures of everything too and make sure you receive confirmation emails.

No warranty provider .

I always keep emails and have photo’d everything . It’s like he wants the cemex spec for (expletive deleted)ing blocks for example . To ask for things they noted 6 yrs later is a piss take . But I’ll wait and see how it plays out initially …

Oops my bad!. Missed this one!!

Bathroom door does open inwards when it shouldn't.

The argument he gave was if someone fell on the floor in the bathroom you can't open it because their body is in the way.

I've emailed back to BCO and said but if the bathroom door opened outwards and I was in the bathroom and someone collapsed outside the bathroom I can't get out.

I then suggested if 2 people either side of the door collapsed neither could get out due to being unconscious and the other in the way. Perhaps bathrooms should have no doors.

He's yet to reply to that.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.41.12.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Checking back 10 years into my emails , there it is . Soil sample report sent to building control .

Ive been here before with planning where they are adamant I haven’t done something , when I have .

Dunning Kruger Effect Stage 1 (I think) .... Unconcious Incompetence.

Or perhaps, simple laziness and mendacity: as in

I'll tell him he hasn't sent that document to us (when I know he has) just to piddle him off

• Like 1

Just now, ToughButterCup said:

Dunning Kruger Effect Stage 1 (I think) .... Unconcious Incompetence.

Or perhaps, simple laziness and mendacity: as in

I'll tell him he hasn't sent that document to us (when I know he has) just to piddle him off

Wouldn’t surprise me . My only real concern is the rsj’s not fire proofed - nothing in my plans for that though admittedly it does show them plasterboarded over and mine aren’t . So we will now continue the argument of does the suspended ceiling provide 30 mins fire protection…

On fire protecton. Perhaps i can help. Protection tends to be overspecified because it sells stuff

If the steel is very chunky or is already protected to some extent it may not need more .

A photo would help

You mention tiles. Are these ceiling tiles in a grid? Generally fire rated 

• Like 1

Re the steel - we had an issue with an inconsistency between the architect's drawings (30min protection) and some accompanying notes (60 mins). The 60 was apparently stipulated by BCO based on the 4 floor house design (on a hill). I didn't notice the notes bit and had 30 min paint applied. Sh1t hits the fan - architect contracts a fire guru to write a report saying it is OK.... this may be an option for you, at least worth a look. In my case BCO would not accept the boarded/skimmed ceiling below steels with 30 min paint protection was OK as it wasn't a tested "system" - which I can understand and they just want someone else to have the claim that will never happen on their PI insurance I suspect

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

Re the steel - we had an issue with an inconsistency between the architect's drawings (30min protection) and some accompanying notes (60 mins). The 60 was apparently stipulated by BCO based on the 4 floor house design (on a hill). I didn't notice the notes bit and had 30 min paint applied. Sh1t hits the fan - architect contracts a fire guru to write a report saying it is OK.... this may be an option for you, at least worth a look. In my case BCO would not accept the boarded/skimmed ceiling below steels with 30 min paint protection was OK as it wasn't a tested "system" - which I can understand and they just want someone else to have the claim that will never happen on their PI insurance I suspect

Thanks . That’s a good plan . It’s all about someone taking liability ! 

57 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

On fire protecton. Perhaps i can help. Protection tends to be overspecified because it sells stuff

If the steel is very chunky or is already protected to some extent it may not need more .

A photo would help

You mention tiles. Are these ceiling tiles in a grid? Generally fire rated 

Photo attached of typical steel .

The ceiling tile company can only supply a fire rating based on a ‘test’ from the manufacturer of a test setup they’ve constructed to get a fire rating ! . I’ve sent bco the 75 page report 🫤

image.jpg

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Oops my bad!. Missed this one!!

Bathroom door does open inwards when it shouldn't.

The argument he gave was if someone fell on the floor in the bathroom you can't open it because their body is in the way.

I've emailed back to BCO and said but if the bathroom door opened outwards and I was in the bathroom and someone collapsed outside the bathroom I can't get out.

I then suggested if 2 people either side of the door collapsed neither could get out due to being unconscious and the other in the way. Perhaps bathrooms should have no doors.

He's yet to reply to that.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.41.12.png

I don't recall ever seeing a bathroom where the door opens outwards. Not saying they don't exist, but they're certainly not common in my experience!

Outward opening doors inherently present an impact risk to others walking by, the mitigation usually some level of glazing to allow you to see through it but obviously not very desirable for a bathroom!

I might well just be ignorant of the regs, and all the bathrooms I've been in pre-date the introduction of such a rule! (Although our own house is 2007 and they're all inward-opening - that's longer ago than I sometimes think though). Edit: Actually, we've got a downstairs toilet with an outward-opening door and perhaps that ticks the box in terms of having a wheelchair accessible toilet and that's what it's all about rather than people collapsing (which surely also happens in rooms besides bathrooms?!).

Edited by MJNewton

7 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

I don't recall ever seeing a bathroom where the door opens outwards. Not saying they don't exist, but they're certainly not common in my experience!

Outward opening doors inherently present an impact risk to others walking by, the mitigation usually some level of glazing to allow you to see through it but obviously not very desirable for a bathroom!

I might well just be ignorant of the regs, and all the bathrooms I've been in pre-date the introduction of such a rule! (Although our own house is 2007 and they're all inward-opening - that's longer ago than I sometimes think though). Edit: Actually, we've got a downstairs toilet with an outward-opening door and perhaps that ticks the box in terms of having a wheelchair accessible toilet and that's what it's all about rather than people collapsing (which surely also happens in rooms besides bathrooms?!).

I agree ; it’s not a ‘nice ‘ arrangement. I probably years ago forgot and designed the door to be more suitable/ normal . As I mention I’ll get over this issue !! 

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

I agree ; it’s not a ‘nice ‘ arrangement. I probably years ago forgot and designed the door to be more suitable/ normal . As I mention I’ll get over this issue !! 

Yeah, you could perhaps re-hang it then swap it back round afterwards. Maybe make it completely obvious - but still deniable - that that's what you'll be doing by leaving your tools out, pot of filler etc to one side!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I don't see any purpose in shiwing any contempt for the bco. You just want a tick and sign-off

I agree 100% . I need to wait ( always difficult when you want to bury the (expletive deleted) ) . As I said my gut feeling is ; once I supply bs documents it will all fade away . But what a bs farce it truly is !