Cutting felt in roof

Greg M

Hi everybody.

I have a quick question which hopefully somebody will be able to help me with.

I bought some lap vents for the inside of my roof as we get condensation during the winter, however when I went to install them I noticed that the felt on the inside of the roof does not overlap, but instead is one continuous sheet of felt that is attached to the roof.

My question is, would it be possible to make a slit in the single layer of felt to be able to place the lap vents in or would that compromise the roof and allow water to enter?

Thanks in advance,

G

Have you checked you have sufficient ventilation at the eaves. You typically need the equivalent of a 10 - 25 mm wide slot the full length. That's a lot of 80mm round vents, perhaps 4 - 5 per rafter bay. Sometimes you have to have two staggered rows to meet recommendations a one line won't fit. 

7.2_15.a.9.png.db3381b403556cf7df7d270d8f380d58.png

https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/7-roofs/7-2-pitched-roofs/7-2-15-ventilation-vapour-control-and-insulation/

21 hours ago, Greg M said:

Hi everybody.

I have a quick question which hopefully somebody will be able to help me with.

I bought some lap vents for the inside of my roof as we get condensation during the winter, however when I went to install them I noticed that the felt on the inside of the roof does not overlap, but instead is one continuous sheet of felt that is attached to the roof.

My question is, would it be possible to make a slit in the single layer of felt to be able to place the lap vents in or would that compromise the roof and allow water to enter?

Thanks in advance,

G

If you’re getting condensation in the roof space you should try and increase the insulation in the roof space making sure that you overlap insulation at the eaves and provide adequate ventilation.

However lap vents aren’t great. Where the insulation is at ceiling level you should be providing 10,000mm2/m ventilation at the eaves and - depending on the span and pitch - 5,000mm2/m ridge ventilation. For insulation between the rafters the requirement is higher.

Take a look at Glidevale’s website for products and take a quick look at the White Paper which explains a little bit about ventilation in buildings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2023 at 23:07, bassanclan said:

Looks like old type bitumen felt rather than modern breathable membrane, never the less it is on a roll, so there are laps where one roll overlaps the next

IMG_20230702_220119.thumb.jpg.9d4c8757415a53e66587130bb51d4de5~2.jpg

Thanks very much. I really appreciate it 👍

On 12/06/2023 at 17:57, makie said:

Can you take a picture of the felt? Just so we can clearly see what we are looking at.