Recommend a router?

jayc89

Totally router novice. 

Need one for finishing window boards. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I do need to chase out the bottom of one board to fit over a batten that's slightly proud, so a guard rail would be useful.

Any suggestions?

Years ago I had the most basic Black and Decker model. (Maybe think cheapest 'own-brand' from SF or TS now). I made my own windows, routed details on existing windows and generally used it a lot. I killed it in the end but it was fine. Just for an edge on window boards I'd go cheap-but-'known'. I bought a very cheap paddle mixer from a hitherto unknown source (I have stopped contracting and have just a little of my own stuff to do. My long-standing mixer died just at the wrong time) and, though it works, the quality is truly pretty awful. It does mix plaster but I would not normally buy something that grim.

Thanks for the post, you reminded me I needed a new palm router! I've just gone and bought the Triton 880W Trimmer Router which basically does 2 jobs in one -might be worth a look for you? I have a big Erbauer router and a bigger Triton. The erbauer is cheap, chunky and absolutely does the job. The bigger Triton is much nicer to use but more expensive. The Triton trimer router is relatively cheap IMHO.

4 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Thanks for the post, you reminded me I needed a new palm router! I've just gone and bought the Triton 880W Trimmer Router which basically does 2 jobs in one -might be worth a look for you? I have a big Erbauer router and a bigger Triton. The erbauer is cheap, chunky and absolutely does the job. The bigger Triton is much nicer to use but more expensive. The Triton trimer router is relatively cheap IMHO.

I did come across this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pof-1200-ae-1200w-8mm-electric-router-230v/32549 - which is pretty cheap, but I have no idea whether there's other more suitable alternatives out there for what I need. I'm assuming it would do the trick. 

1 minute ago, jayc89 said:

Thanks.

Next question. I have 25mm window boards. What bit do I need to bullnose the returns?

Round over bit, if you want full bullnose then it’s a 12.5mm radius.

but I would probably go with a 10mm radius with guide bearing on the end to make life easier 

Edited by markc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might be out of date but that Bosch has an 8mm collet. I think 1/4" and 1/2" are still the most common sizes but burhaps someone can comment on the availability of 8mm shank bits now? Not a problem?

If available 8mm would be better than 1/4".

1 minute ago, Temp said:

I might be out of date but that Bosch has an 8mm collet. I think 1/4" and 1/2" are still the most common sizes but burhaps someone can comment on the availability of 8mm shank bits now? Not a problem?

If available 8mm would be better than 1/4".

Most of these routers will have a 1/4" collet in the box - I think this one does, as well as a 6mm collet.

• Like 1

Check out the little ‘trimmer’ routers. Much easier to use for simple chamfer / round over jibs imho. If you can work from each side with a round over bit with a bearing, that might be easiest than a full bullnose. Practice on some scrap, it’s a fairly easy job but e.g. important to get the direction right. Loads of YT videos on the subject. It’s possible, for the most blemish-free job, that you might want the adapter that runs the trimmer on plunge saw rails.