Frame fixings Q

Hi chaps, hope all enjoying the weather & in good health.

A while since I posted on BH (done 2 small jobs recently without needing to ask, due to knowledge gained on BH. Ace).

Another small job Im last stages of: a handrail onto my cabin decking.. to stop me falling off 7' into my stream!

Posts done, so it's handrails to attatch to their tops. Q: as my handrails are quite high (3") I need long screws. Now, I have some frame fixings the ideal length @6". So they're the beefy screws, with their long plastic plugs you hammer in 1st.

Any reason why I can't use these? Thanks Zoothorn 

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

So they're the beefy screws, with their long plastic plugs you hammer in 1st.

If I understand you correctly, are the screws suitable to be used without the plastic plugs. I've seen lots of different types of frame fixings and some have had normal type wood screws in the plugs.

16 hours ago, TonyT said:

The frame fixings with the plastic part are designed for solid walls, not timber.

You need wood screw or coach bolts, or similar 

Hi Tony, I understand frame fixings design is usually into solid walls. @Gone West thanks, yup I think you get what I mean.

But what I'm asking is whether they can be used into timber instead, after all A) surely some frame surrounds won't be block at all (a timber-frame construction for eg). And B ) they look to me like big woodscrews anyway.

And then if useable, whether to use the plastic plug at all.. or just use without, as normal woodscrews.

Here is a woodscrew (LHS), & a frame fixing (RHS). It's as much to do with their coating, as possible use for the job. 

0A3CE488-83D8-4A90-9649-07841C9AE4B4.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn

In my experience frame fixing screws don’t have quite as wide a thread so maybe they don’t have quite the same ‘grip’ as a normal wood screw. 
that said I would just use them as I’m sure they will be fine. Don’t use the plastic part. You should be able to feel how effective they are once you get going.

57 minutes ago, jfb said:

In my experience frame fixing screws don’t have quite as wide a thread so maybe they don’t have quite the same ‘grip’ as a normal wood screw. 
that said I would just use them as I’m sure they will be fine. Don’t use the plastic part. You should be able to feel how effective they are once you get going.

Hi jfb, that makes sense to me.

Have you any idea about the coating on frame screws ? Im sure you know the ones, they have a kinda goldy pinky coating.. so I wonder if they're made to be water resistant (tho I can't see how block with a dpm outside of it, would be ever anything but dry, nor any material a frame screw usually fixes to).

They do look similar to std gold coloured woodscrews, but whether they are exactly this I don't know.

Thanks, Zoot 

Get a plug cutter set to remove a hole in scrap wood, drill hole in top timber and screw into post, then pop in timber plug to hide screws,

or angle brackets

or toe nail screws underneath.

lots of options

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Have you any idea about the coating on frame screws ? Im sure you know the ones, they have a kinda goldy pinky coating..

I guess it's a passive coating, same as on some screws. Yours looks more like a woodscrew than some I've seen. Should be fine.

Edited by Gone West

21 hours ago, Gone West said:

I guess it's a passive coating, same as on some screws. Yours looks more like a woodscrew than some I've seen. Should be fine.

Great thanks chaps. Will put up a pic once diddy balcony done. Zoot

Thanks chaps,

although not high enough to stop a -very- drunk Zoot falling over it into stream, I present my diddy handrail.

It's at an alarmingly 'perch ass on corner of it' height too. A bit low! But functions to stop my seat going over.

@Onoff hi there hope you're good- thought you'd like to see a bit more Zoot cabin progress: few more pics follow. Zh

166F2559-2A3D-4E5C-91FD-9D990F88FBE8.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Zoot the Hoot. Looks fantastic. You can take the weekend off now and enjoy a few cold one's sitting on that decking.

Nice one BigJ, been doing -many- a beer on my deck here.. a sun trap spot, south-facing cabin.

Thanks Zoot

• Like 1