Hello everyone, i am doing a build in my garden and project managing it myself (wish i hadn't but hey ho). My next task is a studwall and i am thinking does this attach to the ceiling rafters. my instinct is yes it must. i just want confirmation so when a this is done i have some idea. Yes i am female never undertaken anything like this before but i am not as green as i am cabbage looking. And i have saved money.

• Like 1

It may be worth considering metal studs MF It’s a lot easier get get straight and square and much lighter to use Also it’s make’s plumbing and electrical work much easier due to cut outs already being in place 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, nod said:

may be worth considering metal studs 

But I wouldn't.

Amateur builders like me make lots of mistakes in cutting,  and wood is very forgiving (and an extra piece is easy to find).

Also, normal domestic tools suffice.

Metal has advantages, but with professional builders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dpmiller said:

@nod are all the internals in your own house MF?

Mostly block 

But there are a couple that make up two of the bathrooms 

The one we are building has just a couple of studs which I’ll do in timber As they are specified for racking and will need cladding with ply on both side Anything else Drop ceilings etc 

Will be MF 

Ask me if I’m Parge coating 😂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, saveasteading said:

But I wouldn't.

Amateur builders like me make lots of mistakes in cutting,  and wood is very forgiving (and an extra piece is easy to find).

Also, normal domestic tools suffice.

Metal has advantages, but with professional builders.

I'd have said the same in the past but having just built my first metal framed wall I think I'd go the other way.

Easy enough to cut with a pair of tin snips, which are cheap & easy to buy.

And because they slot into the channel and don't have to be perfectly flush if you do cut it a few mm short it's not a problem whereas wood really needs to be a perfect tight fit. Saved me a lot of time on this one  as it's meeting a sloping ceiling.

So if you're likely to make (small) mistakes measuring, metal is more forgiving.

Not to mention I've found as a DIY builder it can take more effort/stern conversations with merchants to get hold of straight timber and if you don't have joinery experience can be harder to know what's acceptable/how to pull things back into line, which can be completely avoided with metal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyscotland said:

metal is more forgiving.

Did you become good at screwing on plasterboard ? Someone was saying how difficult that was proving. 

To be fair to metal, I only ever tried it in asking for a shot from a subcontractor, who probably wasn't helping.

1 hour ago, andyscotland said:

get hold of straight timber 

Good point. I have never thought to check if there are standards on straightness.  The recent stuff we had has been immaculate. Perhaps the absence of Russian timber is helping.  A timber merchant client told me of 'surprises hidden in the middle of bundles. 

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Did you become good at screwing on plasterboard ? Someone was saying how difficult that was proving. 

To be fair to metal, I only ever tried it in asking for a shot from a subcontractor, who probably wasn't helping.

That is a very fair point and I've not got to that stage yet so I might change my mind again! 🤣

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Good point. I have never thought to check if there are standards on straightness.  The recent stuff we had has been immaculate. Perhaps the absence of Russian timber is helping.  A timber merchant client told me of 'surprises hidden in the middle of bundles. 

There must be some standards, but they must be quite loose based on some of the loads I've had! Although yes more recently stuff has been better (from the merchant, the DIY stores near us are still doing a pretty good line in bananas). But I did just get a load of 25mm battens that were 22mm if you measured them generously and some of them varied in thickness along the length... 🙄

51 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

But I did just get a load of 25mm battens

I got a 50mm one a long time ago that twisted 90° in 6m. There was even worse at the bm and the yard man complained we were leaving the rubbish bits behind which nobody would want.

His logic was that every delivery is to include some rubbish.

• Like 1

I’ve done both methods - I think I prefer timber .

Metal was ok ; as others have said every piece is dead straight . Always feels a bit rattley . Sometimes I bolt the steel to the wall and then osb it for a ( perceived ) better fixing .

Timber more sturdy imho ( appreciate if you install metal all the time you might disagree ).

Speed wise ; I’m slow on either !

Also with timber ; off cuts I find a use for . Metal less so .

For walls ! - ceilings - metal if you can 👍 ( not a dig at @Thorfun

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2