Types of cracks

Moggaman

I am getting very paranoid worried about this as I have a lot of this around the house. 
The cracks in the photo are new. I’m in the house 10 months. 
Other cracks upstairs are there 6 months and extending ? Both cracks shown below are same size… no cracks are wider than 1mm. Appreciate ur input…IMG_5975.thumb.jpeg.eafef578a6d5887d47484a81dd9d5f46.jpegIMG_5468.thumb.jpeg.19e0454859042e43694a0019c37750e7.jpeg

I think you'll need to reassess after 12 months of 'settlement'. The build was done during the "wet" season I assume, and the fabric of the build heavily soaked and then all of that moisture got locked in by the render. The different rates at which all this would dry out would be significant, so I would fill these cracks with a good quality paint and monitor every 3 months.

Staring at this every day will put you in an early grave, so, relax, as the house isn't going to fall over any time soon, and monitor as above. Tapping on the mortar will reveal if it is going 'hollow' (has separated from the structure) which would be more of an issue.

Answers for this problem will not be coming any time soon, well not ones worth hearing at this time anyways. Time will tell, I'm afraid. In the meantime, go about your daily business and stop staring at these cracks is my honest advice. :)  

39 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I think you'll need to reassess after 12 months of 'settlement'. The build was done during the "wet" season I assume, and the fabric of the build heavily soaked and then all of that moisture got locked in by the render. The different rates at which all this would dry out would be significant, so I would fill these cracks with a good quality paint and monitor every 3 months.

Staring at this every day will put you in an early grave, so, relax, as the house isn't going to fall over any time soon, and monitor as above. Tapping on the mortar will reveal if it is going 'hollow' (has separated from the structure) which would be more of an issue.

Answers for this problem will not be coming any time soon, well not ones worth hearing at this time anyways. Time will tell, I'm afraid. In the meantime, go about your daily business and stop staring at these cracks is my honest advice. :)  

Thank you for that advice. I realise I shouldn’t be examining it so much. I do have one hollow section upstairs on a non load bearing wall. Hollow section is about 300mm x 300mm. What drives me bananas is moderate to loud bangs/ thumps I hear most nights from what I perceive to be the wall upstairs. Makes me think something is giving !

1 minute ago, Moggaman said:

Thank you for that advice. I realise I shouldn’t be examining it so much. I do have one hollow section upstairs on a non load bearing wall. Hollow section is about 300mm x 300mm. What drives me bananas is moderate to loud bangs/ thumps I hear most nights from what I perceive to be the wall upstairs. Makes me think something is giving !

If it's daily, then it's probably more closely attributed to heat / cool of the roof structure. I very much doubt your masonry walls are on the move!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it's daily, then it's probably more closely attributed to heat / cool of the roof structure. I very much doubt your masonry walls are on the move!

If the thumping is the roof, will that eventually stop?..in general ?

24 minutes ago, Moggaman said:

If the thumping is the roof, will that eventually stop?..in general ?

I have no idea, just the only thing I ever hear that's reported as doing what you are hearing / experiencing has been the roof. Mainly SIP's roof and with metal standing seam. That's the only bit of the house that heats up and cools down (expands & contracts) quickly enough to generate noise. 

Do you have tiles / slates / metals?

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

I have no idea, just the only thing I ever hear that's reported as doing what you are hearing / experiencing has been the roof. Mainly SIP's roof and with metal standing seam. That's the only bit of the house that heats up and cools down (expands & contracts) quickly enough to generate noise. 

Do you have tiles / slates / metals?

Black slates on timber latts 

1 hour ago, Moggaman said:

Black slates on timber latts 

I'd say that's possibly the slates cooling down each evening. Probably be worse while we have some sunshine, and almost disappear during winter. May settle, as new houses do tend to do these things.