Lawns, how flat?

Hi folks

I've spent some trying to get the garden ready for sowing grass for the lawn. First wit a grading bucket on the digger, then by hand wit a rake.

Wondering just how flat it needs to be though? There's plenty of websites that's say get if flat, but I'm yet to find and guidance on what is good enough. I'm not expecting a bowling green, just need something for the kids to run around on. It's never going to be perfect, but If I check with a long straight edge, what is an acceptable variation?

It really is up to you.  Depending how much the ground has been built up, it may settle later.  I just got it as good as I could and if it settled and dips formed I just filled those in again later.

• Like 1

It it going to settle. Near  enough will  do for now, with the main target beong a nice tilth for the seed, and then the grass will germinate and is gusranteed to grow the right way up.

It is easy to fill any hollows later, using soil or sharp sand and the grass finds its way through. 

3 hours ago, cwr said:

... what is an acceptable variation?

Look at the maximum variation your lawn mower will cope with, and (say) halve that.

Dont make the mistake I made - did the job so badly it turned my Mountfield rotary mower into a rotavator. 

4 hours ago, cwr said:

Hi folks

I've spent some trying to get the garden ready for sowing grass for the lawn. First wit a grading bucket on the digger, then by hand wit a rake.

Wondering just how flat it needs to be though? There's plenty of websites that's say get if flat, but I'm yet to find and guidance on what is good enough. I'm not expecting a bowling green, just need something for the kids to run around on. It's never going to be perfect, but If I check with a long straight edge, what is an acceptable variation?

stringline is your friend!