Drilling a perfectly horizontal, level hole. How?

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

I didn't know that you are brilliant. 

I am (expletive deleted)ing brilliant.

Last night I fell asleep watching this.  Tim Hunkin is looking old, but still dresses the same.

Not watched this one yet, about drilling holes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SimonD said:

Yeah, you're not the only one. It's a lonesome journey and worse when you get in your own head. I've just got into the same situation because as soon as I decided to put my trust in getting in some trades and paying someone instead of doing it myself, the carpenter has cancelled to sets of dates and gone awol when we had an agreed timeframe - now I'm stuck with a load of internal doors about to arrive and figuring out a load of bleedin' logistics and work schedule with me doing the stuff myself again. (expletive deleted) trades!

Self building is as much a test of character as  anything else. 

We can't control everything , so we have to keep up the pressure on ourselves to perform well. An impossible standard for others to match.

So in attempting to work with others, disappointment is built-in to our job. Normal therefore. So we can plan for it. 

That's the theory anyway 😔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

We can't control everything , so we have to keep up the pressure on ourselves to perform well. An impossible standard for others to match.

So in attempting to work with others, disappointment is built-in to our job. Normal therefore. So we can plan for it. 

You saying I’m an absolute failure ? 😢😉

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Actually- I thought about what you posted .

It is success through failure . The biggest obstacle in life is yourself . Contrary to what others may believe from my posts I punish myself far more for errors or when something isn’t “ quite good enough “ ( but in fairness is better than most trades ) .

It’s an attitude that one must take through life . Trying , failing, taking risk , failing ; sometimes success !

Must go and talk to my shrink now .

• Like 3

I suppose I mean that Self-Building makes the need to Plan For Failure very clear. Maybe not planning in a formal sense, but this thread shows the power of just asking others for an opinion (or plan)  .

I went from a state of 'Shit how am I going to do this ?' to -now- quiet confidence that I'll get it done resonably well. Just because the risk has been shared a bit.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

the power of just asking others for an opinion

Opinion is being told you are wrong, without being offered an alternative.

Asking on here is just being told you are wrong, but with 100 alternatives, all of which are wrong.

I don't share failure, especially yours, I just giggle about it.

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Or want to hear more like.

and

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Most of which are right, but not necessarily what you want, or choose, to do.

It doesn't matter. Every thread generates a reaction in the original author's mind. And it's up to the thread originator  (OP) to evaluate the responses.

Even 'wrong' contributions -provided they are relevant-  could well be useful . It's irrelevance that sometimes grates. 

• Like 1

Boys, boys ...... here it is...... and joy of joy the instructions are in English! Legible, readable, well written English - wiv pictures, proper pictures taken by a photgrapher.... one with a camera and lighting system.

Godda be grateful these days

Thanks @Conor

PXL_20230523_112230487.thumb.jpg.862045d09ce31932a1dbc54544cd1556.jpg

Less need for a pillar drill now.....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

here it is

How you you hold it in place and keep it perpendicular to the wall?

You could screw it to a flat bit of ply and put a could of levels on that, then see how level it is, then drill holes in the ply and screw it to the wall.

Take a video of it when you first try it out.

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just drill a tad over halfway, from the correct point both sides, it invariably lines up.

You Bad Boy . 

Everyone else..... he's just winding you all up. The chances of that ('...invariably...' )  being the case, is close to negative infinity.

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just drill a tad over halfway, from the correct point both sides, it invariably lines up.

I’ve tried that a few times . Try to be super accurate with measurements on both sides . How far out could I be ? A few mm ?.

Nah ; (expletive deleted)ing miles !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yeh right ! Drill from outside every time (IMO).

In this case @joe90, all the insulation is on the outside (about 200mm) , and therefore there is next to no chance of the drill being deflected. Inside start I think ...... 110mm of concrete 40mm beyond the outside of the block. 

5 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Isn't it just. It's one of those few things in life where you can't just jump off when it gets too much, you've just got to continue taking one step after another, hopefully getting you in the right direction eventually. And yes, you're absolutely right about standards, and the risk of paralysis by perfectionism. My only question has to be; why do so many in the trades set their own bar so low? Doesn't that just add to the misery of what they do (or don't do). I just wonder how they derive satisfaction from delivering below par standards of both workmanship and customer care?