How 250mm hole drilling through gable for mvhr ducting

My zehnder unit has insulated 230mm insulated ducts going into a 250 external grill. Exit is in my warm roof on gable end. How are people drilling 250mm hole through standard block cavity walls. Hand drill will not cope with anything greater than 150mm diameter. Don't want to stitch drill as external already rendered. And the big rigs are extortionate to rent and have never used.

Any help?

Standard core drill is about £35 a day and they have up to 250mm cores and they charge by the mm wear on the teeth normally. Pilot drill it and then cut outside in, finish from the inside and it’s a 30 min job.

• Like 1

I got a guy in with a proper drill rig to do a few holes, worked out at £30 a hole. He did in half a day what would have taken me at least two days of very hard work. The rig was bolted to the wall and drove itself in. Did all the hard work itself. Totally different job from a hand held core driller.

Why not just stitch drill it like I do? Use a 4mm sds bit and go around the hole drilling each about 10mm apart. Go to a 5.5m and then a 7mm and a couple of taps with a hammer and 'Bob's your uncle, and Fanny's your aunt'!

Start drilling now, and you'll be in the pub by 1 ;) :) 

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why not just stitch drill it like I do? Use a 4mm sds bit and go around the hole drilling each about 10mm apart. Go to a 5.5m and then a 7mm and a couple of taps with a hammer and 'Bob's your uncle, and Fanny's your aunt'!

Start drilling now, and you'll be in the pub by 1 ;) :) 

Tempting...but worried about render and quality of finish from outside

Get a long (greater than the wall width) bit to make a pilot hole with a slight fall to the outside. This will ensure both holes line up. 

Drill a piece of 50mm timber with 2x holes 125mm apart. Make the middle one perpendicular to the timber and the outer one slightly angled outwards. 

Peg the pilot hole to one hole of the timber and use the other hole like a compass for your stitch drilling. It will ensure a neat circle that will be slightest bit conical towards the inside making it easier to chip out. 

Then get hammer and chisel and get tapping. This can be tedious. 

Now repeat from the inside. 

I had 3 holes through 215mm block, 250mm cavity and 100mm block to do. They took an hour each with a cheap SDS. 

Screenshot_2023-05-21-19-36-33-835-edit_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.d00d81966f8a894c189140e48781e371.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 20/05/2023 at 08:41, Conor said:

I got a guy in with a proper drill rig to do a few holes, worked out at £30 a hole. He did in half a day what would have taken me at least two days of very hard work. The rig was bolted to the wall and drove itself in. Did all the hard work itself. Totally different job from a hand held core driller.

Who did the core drilling for you? I need the same for big holes for the MVHR intake and exhaust through dense clock wall.

The fitter said he'd kango through and patch it up.  I dont think so!