Opinions on best way to drop a ceiling

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

@Pocster. a serious question for you. does your office block grid ceiling require attachment to the ceiling above at all? or is it only attached to the walls?

Sure you asked before . You have light weight fitting to the ceiling above ( different fittings depending on beam / timber etc ) . Roughly every 1.2m .

What ya thinking ?

13 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Sure you asked before . You have light weight fitting to the ceiling above ( different fittings depending on beam / timber etc ) . Roughly every 1.2m .

What ya thinking ?

I’m think I need to fit a dropped ceiling but can get fixings to the joists above due to MVHR manifold and pipes. Was hoping that the grid system didn’t need ceiling fixings. Will have to go with timber I think for this small area 

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I’m think I need to fit a dropped ceiling but can get fixings to the joists above due to MVHR manifold and pipes. Was hoping that the grid system didn’t need ceiling fixings. Will have to go with timber I think for this small area 

You can always do the drops where you can then have a horizontal grid between them with drops off where you actually need them . If that makes sense 

Edited by Pocster

19 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Unless the width is 1200mm ( 2 tiles wide) you are going to need fixings from the ceiling down to the track.

have a look at Armstrong ceilings website

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Unless the width is 1200mm ( 2 tiles wide) you are going to need fixings from the ceiling down to the track.

have a look at Armstrong ceilings website

I’ll measure the width tomorrow but pretty sure it’s over 1.2m wide. 

55 minutes ago, Pocster said:

You can always do the drops where you can then have a horizontal grid between them with drops off where you actually need them . If that makes sense 

I’ll see if I can get anything between the MVHR ducts. Might just be easier to do it in timber though. Will speak to my chippie 

• 4 months later...
On 20/06/2023 at 22:57, Nickfromwales said:

image.thumb.png.45e757e24a091281a6c27accb0f8287a.png

This is a pic of my current MBC TF project, and this shows the counter-battens that MBC installed, perpendicular to the joists above (hidden by the membrane but you can see where the membrane is quilted where it was first stapled to them). 

This extra 'bracing' is achieved just as simply as affixing 25x50mm counter-battens (larger of the 2 two common roofing battens) to the underside of the bottom chord. There's zero rocket-science :)  

Hi @Nickfromwales I’m going to batten my ceilings like this using 25x50 battens, do MBC fill in the ends where the battens meet the partition walls to support the ends of the ceiling plasterboard or just rely on the plasterboard on the walls to give the support. 

2 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

Hi @Nickfromwales I’m going to batten my ceilings like this using 25x50 battens, do MBC fill in the ends where the battens meet the partition walls to support the ends of the ceiling plasterboard or just rely on the plasterboard on the walls to give the support. 

I would consider upping the batten size to 38*50 or 25*75mm as the smaller ones might split. 

On our ceiling we didn't use end noggins, just allowed the plasterboard to sail between battens. It was held up by a 20mm sand cement layer on the walls however. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I would consider upping the batten size to 38*50 or 25*75mm as the smaller ones might split. 

On our ceiling we didn't use end noggins, just allowed the plasterboard to sail between battens. It was held up by a 20mm sand cement layer on the walls however. 

Graded roof tile battens should not split 

• Like 1