Lawn thickeners

We had new turf laid about 2 months  ago. Lawn is now fairly well established, but this last 3 weeks I didn’t cut it regularly enough and now it’s a bit patchy in places, and I’m other places the bottom of the grass looks a bit brown. Found various products made by Westland which claim to thicken and/or darken the lawn. Branded “aftercut”. Anyone have any experience with these?

Sounds more like the  turf was not bedded onto decent soil or not watered enough and the grass has dried out and died in places.

Whatever you do lots or watering needed until it is fully established.

Grass grows without much help or chemicals. If it is bare then i say just water it and wait. Perhaps a few seeds to make sure.

Turf has been sliced with the minimum of soil and lots of root damage, and may be slow to penetrate harder areas of ground. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Sounds more like the  turf was not bedded onto decent soil or not watered enough and the grass has dried out and died in places.

Whatever you do lots or watering needed until it is fully established.

I doubt it. We laid about 9 or 10 tonne bags of top soil/soil improver and watered it thoroughly for the first month. Something went wrong in the second month I guess. I think I let it grow too high.

Is it possible you cut it back too far? Got a lot of shade? Lawn sand can green up a yellow lawn but not if its got bare patches. Not normally recommended for new grass either. 

Think I'd overseed any bare patches with mix of fine soil and seed.

i bought some thickener last week, it was basically just plant food with a few seeds, your better off just buying some seeds and sticking that down instead. get the ones that are coated in the bright green stuff as the birds don't seem to eat it.