MK Masterseal vs British General vs Knightsbridge

Adsibob

My sparky installed an external socket made by British General. It didn’t survive long enough for me to use it. Maybe somebody knocked into it, or maybe the outdoor temperature changes cracked the plastic, but it died. Screwfix refunded me the £9.95 purchase price but have refused to pay towards the electrician’s charges to replace the unit. Lesson learnt: don’t buy cheap!

The next cheapest unit (at about £26) is Knightsbridge but I’ve never been happy with any sockets I’ve bought from them. They have all had some aesthetic design flaw or make an annoying noise when in use that just smacks of poor engineering.

The next price up (at least in Screwfix’s catalogue) is MK Masterseal. Expensive, about £42!

Wondered on people’s thoughts of these brands? was I just unlucky with BG, or is this a genuinely sh*t brand? Thoughts on Knightsbridge and MK?

I use both, MK master seal  and BG, I generally find people can’t figure out how to open them and damage the lid.

one you show them to press where is says press the light bulb moment is there

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

So it’s clear that the MK Masterseal has a higher impact resistance rating, but is that worth spending an extra £61.40 for?

Not comparing like with like as one is single pole and the other is double pole.

26 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Not comparing like with like as one is single pole and the other is double pole.

I’m afraid that doesn’t mean much to me. What does the extra pole mean in tens of cost benefit analysis?

Just now, Adsibob said:

I’m afraid that doesn’t mean much to me. What does the extra pole mean in tens of cost benefit analysis?

It means both poles are switched so is potentially safer. I'm sure MK must make SP versions. We need @ProDave to explain in more detail.

Without a doubt double pole is safer.

Why are you looking at sockets with an RCD built in?  Your RCD protection should be at the consumer unit, having more than one RCD is not safer, but it becomes pot luck which one trips.

So assuming you don't need an RCD because your wiring is already protected by an RCD in the CU and you want DP switching the choice becomes:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/67928     £8.99

https://www.screwfix.com/p/knightsbridge-op9n-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/841vf    £17.99

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/98279    £29.99

for me it's the BG.  You would have to break that 3 times more often than the MK for the MK to become better value.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why are you looking at sockets with an RCD built in?

The socket will mainly be used for lawn mower and other tools. I naively assumed that to be safe, I needed RCD protection in case I cut the power cable for the lawn mower. But the house was just rewired from scratch, so does that mean we will have RCD integrated on all power sockets at the consumer unit?

45 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

But the house was just rewired from scratch, so does that mean we will have RCD integrated on all power sockets at the consumer unit?

You should have if the electrician has done it properly.  It has been a long time since they became mandatory.

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

No problems with any BG outside socket that I have ever fitted including the one on my own house.

+1. No problems with the BG one I fitted to the wall outside. Saying that I haven't wired it up yet...

• Haha 1