Poe powered hub

I’m sure this is possible …

Rather than get multiple cat5 cables outside ( and it will never be enough ) can I have 1 cable going to a hub that’s powered off the poe but equally is poe ?

Presumably the limitation with be the combined pull of poe devices plugged into this hub and equally the current pull of the poe hub that itself is connected too .

This correct ??

Edited by pocster

A random search found this which seems to do what you want.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Gigabit-Ethernet-Internet-TEG1105PD/dp/B09LQYYDBS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=poe%2Bpowered%2Bswitch&qid=1682790312&sr=8-3&th=1

"The switch can be powered by the IEEE 802.3af/at compliant PSE through port 5 with an Ethernet cable, and supply power to such PDs as low-power APs and IP cameras through ports 1 to 4."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Temp said:

Do check the power required by the cameras. When I set mine up I discovered it was quite close to the limit of the hub.

Yeah that was my main concern . If the switch is powered poe then it must have a draw off the ‘master poe switch ‘ + what it is supplying ….

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

Alternative is to use an injector and then split out at the new hub which can sometimes give you more power than the ~85W you get on PoE+ from memory. 

Problem is this hub is powered from a poe hub already . Are you saying inject for the 2nd hub and effectively that connects to the original hub non poe ? . If that makes sense …

Edited by pocster

31 minutes ago, pocster said:

Problem is this hub is powered from a poe hub already . Are you saying inject for the 2nd hub and effectively that connects to the original hub non poe ? . If that makes sense …

possibly .. are you trying to daisy chain 2 hubs from the original one ..? Phantom power/injector may be the only option but you need to know your total load and work back from it. Problem is I don’t know of any domestic type PoE++ hubs that are suitable. No way of getting cctv shotgun cable to the cameras ..?

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

possibly .. are you trying to daisy chain 2 hubs from the original one ..? Phantom power/injector may be the only option but you need to know your total load and work back from it. Problem is I don’t know of any domestic type PoE++ hubs that are suitable. No way of getting cctv shotgun cable to the cameras ..?

Yes . Exactly that . I don’t know the total loads as I will undoubtedly add things over time . Might punt on @ProDave ‘s Amazon link .

I have got a few cat5’s where I want them - but never enough - so trying to plan for future expansion.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I only posted that link as it claimed to do what you want, it is not a recommendation that it actually works or is a good price.  In other words if it turns out to be a POS don't blame me.

It’s Amazon ; can always return 👍

image.jpg

Edited by pocster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/04/2023 at 18:47, ProDave said:

I also got one and it does work! Thank you.

Now powering 2x unifi WAPs for the garage and garden room, plus all the other ethernet guff I've managed to accumulate in those places. 

Only snag with unifi is it thwarts the management console view of which WAP is connected to which port of the main PoE switch, but this is a drawback of chaining devices off any unmanaged switch connected to it. 

Edited to add, the other drawback of unmanaged switches is they can't have different vlans on different ports. Not a problem for me but maybe for some. 

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

Bit late, but Unifi In-Wall AP's can be powered from POE and have a downstream POE port. I have an AP powering a hub at the moment. The hub itself can't do further POE though...