Sadolin Superdec for Decking

steveoelliott

Hi,

I was recommended Sadolin Superdec for painting / treating our decking. However, I have read that it is not suitable for decking. I was wondering why this might be the case as I like the look of the product and have seen others use it.

Has anybody else used it for decking?

Thanks in advance...

Hi, its not suitable for decking but imho sadolin is the rolls Royce of wood care so you won't go wrong with sadolin but it will cost.

Sadolin classic all purpose woodstain is a good choice and you have a few colours to choose from or there is a sadolin wet wood .

Good luck

• Like 1

They do one called Sadolin Wet Wood Decking Stain ("Apply to wet or dry wood") but I've not used it.

1 hour ago, Discoeye said:

Hi, its not suitable for decking but imho sadolin is the rolls Royce of wood care so you won't go wrong with sadolin but it will cost.

Sadolin classic all purpose woodstain is a good choice and you have a few colours to choose from or there is a sadolin wet wood .

I use Sadolin on our windows. The best combination seems to be Sadolin Classic for the colour then coats of Sadolin Extra Clear on top to give max life.

• Like 2

I am watching this thread with interest having tried Valspar decking paint and found it hopeless, it comes off after the first winter.

Not wishing to try another expensive experiment, I will await what people in this thread say of their experiences.  When someone is able to post details of a product they have used that has actually stayed put on the decking over 1 or more winters, I will start to take notice and might even try it.

• Like 2

I've just bought some off this to redo our decking this year - https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/manns-premier-uv-decking-oil I'd never go with paint myself, always something to soak in rather than sit on top of the wood. Its Yellow Balau wood we've got, treated all around with Cutek oil before fitting it, about 5/6 years ago. Then once the colour had faded I put on some dark oak no nonsense decking oil from Screwfix a couple of years ago. When i lifted a couple of boards to get underneath to some cabling, the bottoms and sides are still like new. Now the top of the deck is pretty silver again, but still in great condition, thought I'd give this Manns oil a go as part of my decking area tart up this year.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 2

Its hard to find a balance between protection of timber and it looking nice imho, I'm with pudding with a product that is absorbed by the wood then left to weather from the elements.

But so many variables involved : what type of timber how much foot traffic north facing/ south facing in a garden. Decking that never sees any sun just loves damp slime all over it and equally in the sun for most of the day is going to be bone dry with a worn out look.

If its a bright colour then Cuprinol but be prepared to re paint often for protection sadolin or Sikkens .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

When someone is able to post details of a product they have used that has actually stayed put on the decking over 1 or more winters, I will start to take notice and might even try it.

Anything that creates a 'skin' is likely to peel eventually. Hence the better option being oil. However, oil won't give a deep colour finish so, noticing how 'watery' fence paint just faded over time rather than peeling, I tried painting a deck with fence paint. Sure enough it fades and weathers after a few years but you can just quickly go over it again after a hose down i.e. minimal prep.

• Like 1