Beam & Block Grouting - Estimating Materials...

I know there are loads of different approaches to grouting Beam & Block. The one I like the most uses a strong but custard-like pourable consistency mixture of around 2:1 Sand/Cement squeegeed/brushed in.

But where to start with sand and cement quantities?! I've got about 110m2 of floor area to do, with the fortunate benefit of them being in 3 distinct and separate zones.

To note - the infill is all done, including the double/triple beams, so this is purely for grout.

20230411_122915.thumb.jpg.b376c9a397556d33b2dcad29b9b13d02.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

never bother grouting. cant see point of it.

See, I feel like it'd be worthwhile to fix everything in place. There is no detectable movement in my floor, but some of the blocks still wriggle a bit. Grouting will stop all movement, won't it?

5 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

See, I feel like it'd be worthwhile to fix everything in place. There is no detectable movement in my floor, but some of the blocks still wriggle a bit. Grouting will stop all movement, won't it?

Should do, as long as it's nice and wet.

42 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

As others have said above my builders just used whatever was leftover at the end of the day, watered it down chucked it on the floor and brushed it across the blocks (FOC).

Many months later I needed to move a soil pipe only a couple of blocks across from where it was originally placed , ended up having to destroy the blocks with a kango and lump hammer to get them out . 

• Like 1