sand / cement calculation for 4:1 ratio

LSB

I'm creating a shopping list for quotes and am struggling to get the calculation for how much sand / cement we need.

The whole external wall will be 226 sqm, but how to I convert that to how much sand / cement I need to order (in stages) for this.

The readymix pour concrete was easy, all the suppliers have handy calculators where you put in your measurements and the little men in the computer give me an answer.

Can someone here let me have the same for this.

TIA

Easy enough in our case. 

The builder ordered a 25t lorry of sand, tipped out at random on the site and a 2t pallet of cement. And a few bags of lime. 

Reorder as soon as it got slack.  Plenty of suppliers who will do both next day near us. One of the advantages of building with common materials I suppose. 

A more useful reply.....

226m² at 25mm is 5.65m³ . Add 1/3 wastage (plastering is messy)  and you get to  about 7.5m3. 

At 3:0.25:1 sand lime cement.

This breaks down to 

5.3m³ sand is about 8t 

0.44m³ of lime is about 1.1t 

1.76m3 of cement is about 2.7t of cement. 

Otherwise ask @nod for someone who actually knows! 

• Thanks 1

You will save a lot if you can take bulk sand rather than bags: even big bags where you are paying for the bag.

Cement also if by the pallet, although wastage is worse when they see a 'limitless' supply.

If brickwork is the finished face, then getting bulk is very important. You then have one source of sand (it varies in colour through a sand pit and tomorrows could be different).

Cement varies dramatically in colour between brands, so never change it.

the build will be rendered / clad so same batch is not so important,  this is just the external cavity wall, internal block walls and plastering for the future calculation.

I fully intend to get the sand 'loose' delivered, but I still need to ask for an amount.  At the beginning it's not so important.

I'm trying to create a shopping list to send to the 3 BM's to compare their prices, even though some things, such as sand won't be ordered from them.

we ordered sand for a previous project which became a big cat toilet 😞

we also had it dropped on a big plastic sheet which broke down within a month in daylight and broke into tiny pieces.  

The rest of this sand is destined for underneath the lining of the pond as it's not usable for building, I think this was about 2 ton.

I struggled getting an accurate answer on this but it doesn't actually matter too much in the beginning if you don't need everything in one go, I just ordered extras as needed.  Getting towards the end though I did some sums averaging what we'd used so far, to estimate how much more I needed. 

Average usage for each block laid was 2.4kg of sand, 0.5kg of cement (at an approx. 5:1 ratio)

I have no idea how this compares to what other sources estimate!