Good hoover for cleaning a building site

Hi All,

I have lifted some floor boards and I can see a lot of rubble underneath. I would not worry too much as this is concealed for decades but I come across some wood pieces, very dry ideal kindling to set the house on fire. I remove those and I am going to remove bigger pieces by hand but I would also want to hoover the area including the floors after some masonry and plastering work.
I hate to empty my small (apartment) hoover every 5 minutes. What would you recommend? Should I just upgrade to bigger Henry maybe?"
I am not sure if I really need an industrial type hoover but something that can handle this type of stuff or has a wider hose maybe?
Best regards

A Class L unit to tolerate the dust AND not spread it into the air like cheapo vacs do. Something like this:

https://www.tooled-up.com/makita-vc3011l-l-class-dust-extractor/prod/211939/

Get the cloth bags with the plastic entry rather than the cardboard one.

Slide the bottoms off, empty them, turn them inside out, then chuck in the washing machine. 

Fold the end over and use a binding comb to seal it again to re-use it.

You won't baulk at the cost of the bags this way / can use it for sucking up epic volumes of dust.

The hose is small. It won't pick up lumps big enough to use a shovel on. That's probably ok. The shovel is faster!

Pair with darth-vader style powered full faec respirator mask for personal protection fro the dust:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-AIR-PRO-AIRPRO-Shield/dp/B081TWHB2X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18P15ZAXSQC18&keywords=trend+airpro&qid=1681058151&s=diy&sprefix=trend+airpro%2Cdiy%2C184&sr=1-1

(better to buy that and a class L than a class M vacuum IMO)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Screwfix Titan TTB774VAC. Cheap so you won't mind bashing it around, and can be used wet or dry.

Seen that review at Screwfix: "Do not buy, no longer supported with replacement bags: Bags being sold for this hoover do not fit. Whilst the hoover is good, once you use the 1 bag it comes with, you will not get anymore. entered 5 star as knew review would go to bottom of pile and not be seen."

How do you go about the bags situation?

2 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Seen that review at Screwfix: "Do not buy, no longer supported with replacement bags: Bags being sold for this hoover do not fit. Whilst the hoover is good, once you use the 1 bag it comes with, you will not get anymore. entered 5 star as knew review would go to bottom of pile and not be seen."

How do you go about the bags situation?

I didn't know the situation had changed re bags.

I have a Festool L class for sanding so use that for building dust as well.

As L & M class has come up above: unless you are working on commercial sites M class is not worthwhile. L & M class cleaners have the same bags, the same filters, but M class are required to be fitted with an audible alarm to alert you when suction drops off. When there's just you and a hoover - you'll know what's going on.

@markocosic Much as I'd like a £680 positive pressure respirator (especially any time I touch a can of spray foam) for dust I use a well-fitted FFP3 mask which seems to provide enough filtration.

30 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I have a Festool L class for sanding so use that for building dust as well.

I recently bought the Festool CTL SYS - a vacuum built into a storage case. I like the way it stores away so compactly, and how the vacuum part can be detached and slung over the shoulder.

36 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

L & M class cleaners have the same bags, the same filters, but M class are required to be fitted with an audible alarm to alert you when suction drops off.

I found exactly that with Festool. I imagine that if another manufacturer produces an M class then that would probably apply to their L model too, but maybe not if they don't, or if they're skimping on the filter to cut the cost (though it may be upgradable).

50 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

@markocosic Much as I'd like a £680 positive pressure respirator (especially any time I touch a can of spray foam) for dust I use a well-fitted FFP3 mask which seems to provide enough filtration.

Sorry must have sent wrong link above.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-D2-AIR-PRO-Airshield/dp/B096M7LSM9

They can be had for sub £200 Inc the VAT when on offer - try a camel camel camel alert on Amazon.

Screenshot_20230409-224254.thumb.png.21b6736846e086d584093acce66ab5b6.png

Full face mask, ear defenders, and air fed via filter.

Honestly life changing vs mask and glasses or mask.and goggles - you can see what the chuff you're doing even if breathing heavily into an otherwise cold mask after eating garlic for breakfast and even your hair stays free of wood chip etc.

It's now something I pickup even if "it's only a little dust" as convenient vs the face nappy style mask; as pleasant rather than unpleasant.

Try one if you ever have the chance. You'll not be disappointed!

• Thanks 1

I consulted the BH hive mind on similar.

Might be some useful info linked on that thread. 

The cheap karcher we got has done a solid enough job but at only a few months old, I don't think it's had enough to do for me to give it a solid recommend. 

If we remember back to the early pandemic days, when there was a lack of face masks, it was suggested that the best material to use was T-Shirt fabric.

Should not be too hard to make up some washable bags.

I think I will design a vacuum cleaner.

Shall call it the Daniels, already got an endorsement from Donald Trump, he said 'Daniels sucks'.

• Like 2

I bought an Italian made vacuum fir the workshop over 40 years ago, very basic, motor, cloth bad and paper bag over it, treated badly repeatedly now held together with gaffe tape and only just started making bad noises (I think the brushes may be going). Very good value for money I recon 😎.

• Like 1