Are the tiles the easiest / most cost effective?

JohnBishop

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well.
I have two questions as I am not entirely sure if I want or I am ready to engage in full bathroom renovation just yet.
1. Are there any easier not necessary cheaper alternatives to fit in on the bathroom walls or at least on the two walls with a bath tub in the corner.

I don't want to rush it and buy a whole lot of tiles then realise I don't like them. I dread of tiles that will turn out too dark. I want the bathroom to remain bright but not white tiles.

2. Is tiling the whole bathroom necessary? Mine isn't that tiny 2.5m by 2.3m

Just FYI I put waterproof laminate on the floor. I reckon the advantage of large tiles is that they sound proof the bathroom better.

Happy Easter!

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Have you considered one of the "wet wall" type products like multipanel?

Plus 1

As a tiling business we tile lots of showers etc 

The last five or six years we are being asked to fit panels instead to blocks of student accommodation Much quicker and cheaper and look ok 

5 minutes ago, nod said:

Plus 1

As a tiling business we tile lots of showers etc 

The last five or six years we are being asked to fit panels instead to blocks of student accommodation Much quicker and cheaper and look ok 

@nod which brand have you fitted ?

I was chatting with a vendor of a bathroom company, he was saying they would only fit Bushboard Nuance as it the only one that’s totally waterproof, the backing is dense foam so not affected by moisture. 

I used Multipanel and always have done.  BUT check how they are made now.  Mine are the original ones with a marine ply backing, but I recall readinf somewhere that due to supply issues they had switched to MDF.  Can anyone that has used them recently confirm or deny that.

Do NOT buy them from a "bathroom shop"  The local one here wanted nearly 3 times the price for them that Jewsons supplied them for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

@nod which brand have you fitted ?

I was chatting with a vendor of a bathroom company, he was saying they would only fit Bushboard Nuance as it the only one that’s totally waterproof, the backing is dense foam so not affected by moisture. 

We’ve done two jobs with Bushboard 

Each job had over 150 shower rooms 

Lots of students 

Weve been back snagging but nothing major Stick them directly onto Moister resistant Plasterboard 

Super easy to use 

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

🙄🙄🙄

Sort of half true 

They had taken two fire door off and where using them as ramps on the stairs Mummy a daddy will probably get a large bill 😁

• Like 1

i put the 600x600 tile effect fibo panels in mine when i did it. mainly because i had lost loads of enthusiasm at that point and just wanted it done. They were easy enough to fit, i used my glass fitting suction handle thingy's. the trim for those god awful plastic panels are the same size and wayy cheaper to buy. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 15:14, ProDave said:

but I recall readinf somewhere that due to supply issues they had switched to MDF

I got a sample of Tricoya and dumped it into a bucked of water, left it outside for 13 months.  No change.

So I guess it does depend on what MDF backing they are using.

Some are designed to absorb a bit of moisture to close the T&G joint gap.

I often wonder why these types of panels are not used instead of plasterboard and plastering, especially on factory built houses.