Three phase supply installed instead of single phase

MarkW1979

So I paid for a single phase installation from SPEnergy and put up the appropriate sized meter box for single phase but I have just come back to find that a 3 phase supply has been installed and it occupies quite a lot of the box. My question is whether the meter will now fit in the box and also whether I need to let Octopus know it is 3 phase - who are coming to install the new meter next month?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

IMG_1615.jpg

I'd double check with your DNO that it is actually a 3 ph supply.  DNO's tend to install these three phase fuse units and only install a single fuse inside the carrier.  If it turns out that it is 3 ph then it's your choice, you can get a 3ph meter, or just get a 1ph meter and ignore the extra phases.

Edited by crispy_wafer

Thanks guys. I checked with DNO and it is as a couple of you say - a 3 phase head. I'm still not convinced I can get the smart meter in beside it (if it is the same sized smart meter as I have at home - also fitted by Octopus). Possibly if the unit was moved right the bottom left of the box. I'll have to go back and measure it properly...

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Did the meter box come with ready broken hinges?  I really hate the poor quality of the things.

Haha! Well spotted.

No, but I think the workies from SPEnergy left it open and the door blew off but I have no way of proving the fact that I didn't lock it properly myself!

My meter box is for a phase 1 supply - 596mm x 420mm - the one recommended by SPEnergy at the outset.

Thanks guys. 

I'm going to need another box next to this one for the consumer unit anyway so my plan is to have the meter in the same box as the consumer unit. Once the house is up I can move the meter and consumer unit inside.

• Like 1