VAT reclaim, if using main contractor?

We are doing a new build with a main contractor. The standard house etc is all 0% VAT rated obviously, but when we buy something large not included in the original sum (a new patio, wood burner stove etc) he pays for it, and charges us 9% for profit & overheads, but we don't pay the VAT.

However, what are the rules if I buy large items myself (ie garage doors) and keep the receipt...can I claim back the VAT or do I only save the VAT if it goes through him? 

Welcome any guidance - thanks :)

Edited by Andehh

Thanks Thor, I have seen the Gov list, so ill dig that out and go through it.

I presume anything we have bought since he builder starter, that is on that list we pull together & submit (a process ill dig into myself).

Thank you :)

Your builder is irrelevant! His materials and labour will be zero rated. Even if you got someone else in to do work outside of you main contractor they would zero rate any materials and labour. Separate to that is anything you’ve bought that is valid can have the VAT claimed back. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

Your builder is irrelevant! His materials and labour will be zero rated. Even if you got someone else in to do work outside of you main contractor they would zero rate any materials and labour.

Obviously have them (main contractor or otherwise) to confirm in writing they will 0% rate the work prior to instructing them. It can be extremely hard to get them to retrospectively remove VAT from an invoice, and if it's for labour or professional services (anything other than materials) there's no HMRC reclaim process 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andehh said:

Thanks Thor, I have seen the Gov list, so ill dig that out and go through it.

I presume anything we have bought since he builder starter, that is on that list we pull together & submit (a process ill dig into myself).

Thank you :)

Everything since the date of the granting of your planning permission, as long as it's permenantly part of the build. Includes things like cans of expanding foam, sand, stones for access road, hazard tape for above your water supply. 

We just got our vat claim approved. I had in pipe welding solvent, decking boards (even though not on the plans), fence posts, shelf brackets (I noted these as forming a built in unit for plant), paint, bathroom vanity units, pretty much everything. Only item not approved was our staircase invoice as it specifically mentioned "design" as a line item and was rejected. I just need a split invoice (or one just with the total antld not itemised) from the company to claim.

Just make sure all your receipts and invoices have your name and the site address on it. You CANNOT claim any vat back on items your build has bought in their name. Same for services 

+1

Materials you buy yourself you can reclaim the VAT using form VAT431NB. Must file claim within 3 months of completion. There are some restrictions on things not normally included in houses and things that are removable like freestanding wardrobes. VAT on Trees can only be reclaimed if mentioned on a landscaping plan as part of your planning permission.

Any labour for fitting those materials should be zero rated to you. Eg if you buy paving slabs yourself you can reclaim the VAT back but the builder should not charge vat on labour to lay the slabs.

Don't forget you can claim for things that you may well be installing after the builder has completed [must be in the 3 months after "completion"] such as blinds to windows, hard flooring such as laminate / engineered wood [not carpet], toilet rolls holders [as long as they are attached to the wall], curtain rails [but not curtains].  

We did have several invoices in the names of trades, but which we paid by credit card, but made it clear in the covering letter, noting the invoice numbers, that the merchants would only deal with account holders, and we'd paid them ourselves and credit card bills / bank statements were available should they be needed to show we had paid for the items ourselves.